HRT pills sitting here. Afraid to take them. But hate feeling like this

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I'm new to forum. But I wanted to ask what I couldn't understand.

I'm 49 have been having symptoms since 44. Last period was 4 mo ago. Over the last 4 mo the hot flashes, cold chills, sweating, insomnia, brain fog, aches and pains, anxiety and anger have amped up 100% over what they had been over the past 4 years. 

I went to dr. She put me on Estridal 1mg. And Effexor 75mg ( which I have not took any of it)

My sister went threw the same thing 5 years ago. And because dr didn't give progesterone with Estridal. She had a serious cancer scare. She was told "if you have your uterus you can't take estrogen alone ever!" I have my uterus. I want help coping with this. But now I'm afraid to use it.

Has anyone else took it alone with out progesterone? 

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Jamie, its funny you write this because I also started the symptoms of Peri a few yrs back, and the symtoms have gotten much worse. I was prescribed progesterone pills, 100 mg and was supposed to start them last month but was afraid of the side effects. I'm suffering now anyway, and am going to start them on day 16 this month. I'm not sure how they will affect me but I cannot live like this anymore. I was not given any estrogen and I thought estrogen is only given when you don't have ovaries such as when a hysterectomy is performed but I maybe wrong. Its true that higher levels of estrogen can increase the risk for cancer so progesterone helps balence the estrogen. I started antidepressants yrs ago and I felt great. When I reached Peri, they no longer helped and have tried 2 new ones but they're no longer effective.

• Posted

More confusion. I'm 57, no period for 3 months. I went to doctor last month when couldn't cope with night sweats, hot flushes, clammy hands, insomnia. She prescribed evorel conti patches. 3.2 mg estradiol amd 11.2 mg norethisterone. to be changed twice weekly. and I too have been too scared to start them, we are funny! I think I'm worried my mood will change or bleeding will start.

In the meantime I have been taking sage, passionflower, magnesium and D3 and the sweats and flushes have stopped and sleeping better. I'm sure they'll be back sometime soon.

I should start the patches but sticking that first one on feels like the biggest step ever!

• Posted

Hi, did you experience mental issues along with the sweats? I was wondering if those herbs you take helped you with depression, brain fog et.?
    • Posted

Hi Colleen. I would say I did have mental issues, like not wanting to be in certain situations, family gatherings I'd shy away from. I'd rather stay home lying on the couch. But I have had a few stressful events that I should have looked forward to and enjoyed but I just wanted to hide away. Two new baby grandchildren and my daughters wedding. They have passed now and I coped because I just had to. So I do feel better, and I have found some hidden strength to say no if I'm asked to do something I'm not comfortable with without feeling guilty. I prob do feel guilty really but try not to let it bother me. We definitely need time to ourselves and to have the choice to say no.  I have anxiety about going out shopping or dining but I know now I will enjoy it  when I make the effort, so I do! 

• Posted

I take CQ10 as well for brain function and the passionflower is reported to help with mild anxiety and stress 
    • Posted

Maisie,

Congrats on your grandchildren. I've done things I had too but didn't enjoy myself. Last month I had a wedding at my house with 145 ppl. It was so hot, I went In the house to be alone. I didn't want to come back out but I had too

• Posted

Coleen, that must have been so stressful for you. It's amazing where we find our inner strength from when needed x

• Posted

I think everyone is different regarding likelihood of developing cancer.

I've now had a hysterectomy. Before I had the hysterectomy I went for about 9 months of estrogen-only (against my doctor's advice), because I couldn't tolerate the progesterone. As far as I'm aware, there were no problems, though any possible uterine cancer would have disappeared when I had the hysterectomy, anyhow.

I have a friend who was on estrogen-only for more than 10 years - nobody told her she should have been taking progesterone too. She'd previously had cervical cancer, before she started using estrogen, but as far as we know she's ok. She is using progesterone now.

• Posted

I broke down and took the Effexor. But not the Estridal. So far I've not had  one hot flash or one night sweat. And had trouble falling asleep,but slept 5-6 hr straight. And have been much calmer. The 75 mg was too strong I had some weird side effect. So I've been breaking it in half. Have done better. Hope this keeps working for me. 

• Posted

Oh I'm delighted for you ??

I've been advised to go on HRT in patch for and wondered if anyone has experience of this from of taking HRT?

I truly envy you sleeping well, it's the pits not being able to sleep and the nights are so long sad

I'm 53 years of age and my last period was about 5 years ago. Sweats, feeling anxious and down and not sleeping are my main symptoms ...... coming back as a man in my next life😂

• Posted

You're right to question the use of estrogen without a progestin or progesterone since you have your uterus. Since you aren't in menopause yet, a low dose birth control pill may be the way to go. If you want to stick with HRT, you need a combination one or a separate progestin / progesterone medication to take continuously or cycled along with the estrogen. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.