Awful Head and neck pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Was put on statins 2 years ago after an optic nerve stroke. Took them for about 18 months but stopped them due to leg cramps (now completely gone) and pain in my neck that sent awful pain similar to nerve pain to the top of my head. 6 months on and I still have awful neck pain, and at least one very bad headache a week that can last 2 days. Have spoken to my GP - useless, who said he didnt know how long the effects would last. I am watching my diet and trying to exercize but I am 68 and have a cronic bladder issue so not easy to exercize. All I know is I wish i had never started statins and will never use them again. I think it is really very wrong for companies to sell a product that can have such awful long term effects.

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I understand your feelings. I was put on crestor in 2004. Stayed on them until march of this year. Had all sorts of aches and pains plus some nerve damage. Some things have disappeared but my understanding is that many are permanent. The nerve damage is probably permanent. You're right . They should have never made it to market. I live in the U.S. and money is what drives the F.D.A and pharmaceuticals. They just scratch each others back as long as there's money to be made. My big complaint is that the drug companies new this from the beginning and they got caught. So all that happened was they had to put warnings on the labels.

• Posted

Gee I hope its not permanant, it feels like someone is pulling my hair out only way I can describe the pain, and my neck and upper shoulder blades feel like I have done a 2 hour work out. I was never warned about side effects. Your right its all about "money" I am now taking Max Alt for the headaches $24 AU for 4 tablets ! only thing that gives any relief.

Sick of all these medications that make you sicker rather than better. Just been through it with Oxybutinin, made me so so sick, I am told it is the "fillers"

• Posted

Julia,

I had same issues w neck, shoulders and head. I did and still see a chiropractor, accupunture and get massages. After doing all three for awhile I did see relief. I see all 3 every 2 to 3 weeks now as I'm afraid to stop till I'm completely healed. It has helped. Good luck w feeling better.

• Posted

Hi Julia - so sorry to read of your dilemma. Like you and Portacrean, I too am a survivor of statins (Artovastatin @ 80mg.) The worst thing I have ever had done to me - multiple negative effects that were studiously ignored by the doctor responsible. Like an idiot, I trusted him and took the meds he foisted on me without my researching a thing about them. Two years later with an inflamed liver, hurtling towards Type 2 diabetes, restless, aching joints, leg cramps, hair loss, memory loss, fainting spells and headaches such as you have described, I threw both the doctor and the pills away. One year later and I have regained health, though there are bouts of diminishing symptoms. My headaches are short and mild compared to your terrible situation and I wish there was something I could say or do that would relieve you of that suffering. Unfortunately the best I can do is sympathize and let you know you are not alone, and hope that your ailment diminishes with time. Like you, i will never accept statins again (the doctor didn't outline any issues with the pills and never informed that I should be taking Co-Enzyme Q10 with the dosages. Best of luck to you Julia - I hope the situation gets better for you. 

• Posted

Thank you Wayne, I was on Rosuvastatin not sure where you are but from what I hear they are handed out like candy where we are ! I was not warned or told a thing, just - you need to take this or you might loose the other eye ! Yet they cant even prove what caused the optic nerve stroke. I am now trying acupuncture, no real success yet but the thought of having to live with this pain long term is asking a bit much. SO angry, why are we not warned of what "might" happen so we can make an informed decision.

• Posted

Hi Wayne,

Did you ever end up taking the q10, if so did it help? I'm thinking of trying it as I know my brain was depleted of the necessary chemicals and nutrients it needed from the statins.

• Posted

Important to research any likely interaction between Q10 and any other meds you are taking. I just did this and sadly I wont be able to take Q10 due to serious reactions that may occure with medications I currently take.

I thank everyone on here for you support. I am now really angry, that doctors tell you to take a medication that can in fact stop the normal production of magnesium in ones body especially knowing the side effect that can cause.

• Posted

Hi Scott - no mate I didn't take CoEnzyme Q10 after - figured that si9nce one was supposed to take it with the statin that it wouldn't be of much benefit. I still take Omega 3, Vit D and Vit C. I thought about Q10, and your question has inspied me to research more about it. Hope thiongs improve for you.

• Posted

Hi again Julia - yes they are handed out like lollies here in Australia. Any issue even slightly to do with the heart and they prescribe them. The "normal" level of cholesterol used to 6.0, but that was artificially lowered to 5.0 just so the docs could prescribe more statins I believe. Earlier last year a doco was aired here that claimed statins were dangerous and did not prevent heart conditions. The channel that aired it had to remove it from their playlist and apologize to the pharmas. I am absolutely furious too. I told the doc to go read the hippocratic oath when I fired him. Acupuncture is a good step and I hope it works for you. Hopefully in time we will all move beyond the damage these poisons have caused. 

• Posted

Hi Wayne, if I have learned anything out of this it is to - research, research and research. WIth acupuncture I have found Traditional Chinese Acupuncture is -very - different to the western version. I admit it is not pleasent, The needles are uncomfortable when they go in and then they use a herb called Moxibustion which is burned in a container that sits on your effected body part, on top of that they use a burning stick of Moxibustion that is waved over the needles. It is helping my bladder problem when nothing else in 20 odd years has helped so now I am going to talk to her about treating my shoulders neck and head.

I hope we all find relief from the effects of these statins.

• Posted

I took coq10 and have been able to quantify and improvement in my memory scott
    • Posted

Give it a try wayne, takes about 6 months to kick in but worked for me memory wise
    • Posted

When I spoke to the dr (in Aust) he told me not to believe what i read or what people told me, well if i only believe 10% of what ive read and heard i'd be scared enough. I'd rather die young than live like this with all the side effects

• Posted

Hi Jane,

Any side effects from coq10, I bought it but haven't taken it yet.

Scott

• Posted

The only thing I noticed what a lack of appetite and that for me was a good thing, i think it also helped lower my blood pressure a bit there are other side effects but i didnt' get them, If you google it there is a full list

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.