feeling down

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi,ive just joined,ive been suffering with bad stomach pains for a long time now,i had a ct scan which has shown,,quite widespread diverticular disease mainly in the last part of the large bowel but also in the rest of the large bowl (feeling a bit scared)could anybody with the same problem tell me what i can expect to happen next,thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nana, sorry to hear you have fallen foul of this disease.

Nobody can tell you exactly what you will face as we all have differing experiences, but reading through these discussion groups will give you some common themes. What happens next will depend on you, where you live and your local health care providers.

I have had the stomach cramps for about eight months, loose bowels, nausea almost continuously but with varying severity. I am in Liverpool, England and my GP (Doctor) was excellent right from the start. Blood, urine, stool  tests, referred me privately to a Urologist, as my local NHS had a significant waiting list. Ultra sound scans of my kidney and bladder, urine flow tests, and a camera up my waterworks. This was all clear so I was the referred to a colo-rectal consultant, again privately, more blood tests, colonoscopy and ct scan. This confirmed the diverticular, as suspected by my GP, through out my colon but especially in my sigmoid colon.

I was offered two options carry on putting up with it, taking tramadol, paracetamol and from time to time antibiotics or an operation to remove the sigmoid colon. I was given three months to think about what I wanted , but after research, speaking to some helpful people on here who have been through it, speaking to family and a couple more nasty flare ups I have decided to go for the surgery. Waiting now for the date.

read through some of the info on diet if you have no wish to go through an op just yet, research, speak to your healthcare providers, speak to the lovely posters on here. At the end of the day it is up to you how you deal and face it, I have declared war on it and will be beaten by it ;o)

If you want to mail me and ask specifics about me and my case feel free

It is a pain in the ass but dont let it get you down

Ste

• Posted

hi scouwegian,im not far from you in northwich,i will take on board the things you have said,i have yet to have the other half of this test,then back to consultant,will let you know how it goes.
  • Posted

Hi there, the first thing to say is that everyone who has this awful disease can eat different things!  It takes time to discover what suits you and of course that can mean you get a flare if you eat something that doesn't suit you. However, basically you need to keep food moving through your colon gently so though the general rule is to eat lots of fibre that can cause problems with some people. I have had this for 12 years and have been on a permanent low fibre diet (white bread, white pasta etc, Mayo Clinic has a detailed explanation of what is low fibre) for around 5 years. My consultant said as I have so many diverticular pockets now my colon would not be able to cope with fibre.  I also take lactulose (from chemists) 10ml twice a day, this softens stools, it isn't a laxative and is safe to take as it doesn't stay in the body.  Plenty of water each day does help, at least 1 litre if you can. And be careful of root vegetables as these can cause wind and may aggravate the pockets. Again though, many other people will tell you they can eat vegetables and they're fine!  All very confusing for you to start with but I now only rarely get a flare and my gp let's me have my antibiotics to keep at home in case I get a flare over a weekend or on holiday, this in itself helps you relax which is good as sometimes stress can affect you.  Best wishes, I know it's a shock to be told you have this disease but take each day as it comes, chew your food well and breathe! 

• Posted

Hi Linda, good to know that the dietary route has been of benefit to you. My diet is evolving week by week, what seems fine one week is troublesome the next, but I will get the better of it one way or another.
    • Posted

hi linda346,your right it is all very confusing,im not good with food as it is,so will definately need educating at some point,will let you know how i get on,thanks for advice
  • Posted

hi nana,im three weeks from my first attack.im scared too.

​im trying to settle my gut down,and hopefully move up from my soup and egg diet.

​ill see what works,and if nothing does,then ill get it cut out.

its ok to feel down about this.take it easy,and good luck.

• Posted

hi justin,thanks for replying,i can do soup but only tomato,not eggs tho,it seems to me that people get the option to have colon remover,does everybody get this option or am i over thinking things
  • Posted

Hi Nana, I also suffer with this but am not to bad yet! Heard a lot worse than me! I'm also from northwich small world! Not sure which Dr's you go to but I find very little information is given at mine! Good luck and hope your well soon!

• Posted

hi deb,i not been see gp yet as only got my letter from leighton yesterday,im at barnton docs.
  • Posted

If you have been given antibiotics it is important to take probiotics so as to put back the good bacteria into the intestines. I would try to avoid taking any painkillers even paracetamol. My first attack came on after taking paracetamol for 10 days after a motorcycle accident. Never take NSAIDs like Ibuprofen or Aspirin as they make the condition worse. Keep a food diary to try and pinpoint what causes flares.
  • Posted

Hi Nana sorry to read your suffering.

Diverticular is the start!! and can be calmed down with diet and each sufferer has to find which diet is best for them.

Diverticulitis is the full blown stage and if one has more than 4 episodes with hospitalised in one year

surgery is recommended.

I had 13 years between my first attack and surgery.

SURGERY is no walk in the park and has to be last option and one has to be fully aware of risk to life and perhaps life with a stoma bag!!!

I had in the end no option but to have surgery but I would urge all to think hard before surgery as it's not a quick fix.

Aifric

• Posted

hi im back,bloody confused again,just read my report from sigmoidoscopy and its diagnosis is diverticulitis,so im wondering is that worse than diverticula or is it the better of the two.thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.