What does this mean please ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I eat very little, I have been this way for years. I don't eat lunch, very small breakfast and dinner in the evening. Its been so long I now get stomach pains and diarrhea if I eat too much and I mean anything more than a first size is too much. Sometimes if I feel stomach pains coming on I will make myself sick to try and circumvent the pains and diraea. My wife says I have bulimia, I am not sure thats right. I am 5ft 10 and weigh 9 stone (126 pounds). I really hate my GP , the receptionist is really nasty so I avoid going there. Any ideas what it might be?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Caleb,

Sorry to hear about your struggles. I am not confident to diagnose, but eating disorders are usually developed as a coping mechanism in difficult situations. I do not know enough about you to conclude whether you do or do not, but it sounds like you could potentially have a food allergy/intolerance. 

At this stage, I would encourage you to write down what you have eaten, and the physical symptoms accompanying this. e.g. 2pm ate pasta, had stomach pains, 4pm drank a latte, no physical symptoms.

This can help you identify anything that could be causing your physical difficulties (and is what a doctor would encourage you to do).

I would absolutely encourage you to see your doctor about this, and if your current doctor is not very helpful, you can re-register elsewhere; it's important to have a good doctor. Is there any other doctor at the surgery you could see instead?

Regarding your meals, it is important to try and eat regularly throughout the day, because if you don't your metabolism can be very compromised trying to work out what is going on and actually this commonly leads to weight gain as well as binge eating to compensate for the energy deprivation. It may be that if you start work early that eating breakfast at work is easier for you. I leave the house at 7am as I work 8-4pm, and eat breakfast when I get to work. This also means there is not so bigger gap between breakfast and lunch.

Hope this helps, please see a doctor about this. 

• Posted

Hi Kat Louise, thank you so much for reading my message and taking the time to reply to me, it means a lot to me smile Its interesting what you said about coping mechanisms. I am actually having a lot of difficulties with my mental health at the moment and although I am taking Quetiapine I just can not engage with anyone which means I can't talk to my GP because I have developed an intense distrust of her, I will not speak to a counsellor and the only person I will speak to is the Dr I was reffered to for my mental health issues but he is not a GP so I guess I'm stuck. Thank you though.

• Posted

Hi again.

I understand your difficulties and it can be really difficult to discuss these challenges with another person. I would continue to encourage speaking with a medical professional about this. You can register at a new surgery and you can also speak to a different doctor at your existing surgery. By doing this, they are able to provide further support. One recommendation might be to write down what you want to say when you meet with them. You also don't need to cover everything in the first session.

I would also encourage you to visit the Big White Wall, which is an NHS funded website for people experiencing mental health difficulties. It is free in most areas and offers self-help, guided support as well as other tools. This might help you to discuss other people's experiences with telling their doctor and struggles surrounding this.

Kat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.