Is it possible I will have cancer?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was told I had abnormal pap 2012 and I had hpv but after the procedure I should be fine. I had a colposcopy to remove potential cancer cells.(2012)

I got a new partner in 2014 and once we had sex it was painful

(Every once in awhile for 3yrs) Painful sex(abdominal cramps balling up in knots drenched in sweats then cold sweats) lasted 30-45 mins.

Extremely frequent and heavy cycle (every 2weeks) for about a year

Extreme weight loss 20 lbs in 2-3months

Back pains

Painful sex is now every time I have sex and recently bleeding afterwards.bright red!

Now I've been going to the dr for about a year and they weren't checking for hpv(didn't know it was seperate or that they weren't checking)so my pap were normal I didn't have stds Im getting uti's ,Bv and yeast infections regularly for the last 2months. NOW I switched Drs b/c everything is out of control and all they tell me is take my bc pills! I had a abnormal 8/2016 positive for HPV 16,18 my coloscopy scheduled for 9/15/16... Google says I have symptoms of cancer did anyone else have these issues?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi dejakye,

Have you gone for a pap test recently? I had those symptoms and also the LEEP. My doctors (multiple) said they were not related, and they were correct. I would say that if you are up to date on your pap and there is no problem there, it would be highly unlikely that it is cancer. You could always do another pap to be sure though. 

• Posted

Yes I have the last one was 08/2016 and it was positive for hpv strands 16 and 18 I have an appointment for a colposcopy in 2weeks
  • Posted

Hi. I am a little confused. Colposcopy, is not a procedure. During colposcopy a magnifier is used to take a closer look at the cervix and usually to also guide a punch biopsy to take a tiny sample or set of tiny samples of tissue from suspicious lesions. It is not therapeutic. If the biopsy returns pointing to higher grade changes, LEEP or surgery are performed. So, in 2012, what were the results of your biopsy after colposcopy? Yes, your symptoms are not too good. But could also be indicative of some inflamatory condition or endometriosis. Being HPV positive is not necessarily worrying provided you have regular paps. Many women are HPV positive. It does not mean that they will develop cancer. When you say your period comes every two weeks, how do you count your cycle? It should be from the first day of your period and not the day period ends.
    • Posted

im not sure about the LEEP I wasn't told about that part. I considered a procedure because after it was done I had serve cramping and spent the remainder of that day in bed. In 2012 it was abnormal pap hpv positive and they did the colposcopy and said I could just have my yearly paps.

However I switched doctors and the new dr I've been seeing was not including hpv testing in my paps it wasn't until my symptoms worsened and there was no improvement or help to soothe them I switched 3years later and this doctor did a Pap smear in August (2016) bd saw I have hpv now positive for strands 16,18. I can't really measure them because they are always here I mark them down when they come and tell my dr the dates and from that I noticed it was going without bleeding basically every 2-3 weeks.i mentioned cancer because when I google my symptoms that seems to come up along with endometriosis and pelvic inflammatory. I'm just really worried.

• Posted

Yup I had quite a bit of cramping after the colposcopy and punch biopsy. Interestingly, after my actual surgery (my punch biopsy returned 3rd grade changes CIN3 so i had to undergo cold knife conization of cervix) i had no cramping or any discomfort LOL. Routine testing for HPV is at a bit of a dispute in the last few years because HPV may be present in as many as 50% of population but it does not necessarily mean they are all going to end up with cancer. So, recently, rule of th ethumb is PAP smears every 3 years, without HPV test. If PAP returns showing changes on cervix, then they go for punch biopsy and even then they often don't bother with HPV test. If changes are extensive then a therapeutic procedure is suggested, either LEEP or cold knife and that sample is also sent for biopsy. Normally after procedure PAP is repeated after 6 months then every year. At 3  or 5 years mark you go back to routine screenings every 3 years because if anything was to develop on the cervix it would take 3-5 years after active infection with HPV. In some countries they suggest every 5 years, at some 3 and at some they still prefer to do annual PAPs by the way. Now, in your case, after punch biopsy you will have screens every year if the biopsy returned only mild changes and since you already know you are HPV positive it is best you maintain yearly check-ups for the next 3 years. Don't be too worried...cervical changes are closely monitored, cervical cancers do not just appear out of the blue and changes are highly treatable. You are not currently considered high risk, cause if you were you would be schedulled for another pap after 3 months of the last or at the very least after 6 months. However you symptoms are indicative of an inflammatory condition that should be examined. Perhaps you can insist a little on examining this. Have you had an ultrasound at the time of your last check-up? Also, have you seen your PAP results and more importantly your punch biopsy results? I am not sure if these are shared with you where you are ?

• Posted

sorry i just saw that your last pap was in August and you will have another colposcopy in a couple of weeks. Ok, let u sknow how that goes. But the course of events even if notable changes are discovered is as described. If, in the worst case scenario you are found to have carcinoma in situ or worse, that is also highly treatable. Have you had any PAPS between 2012 and 2016, or was teh august one your first since the 2012 colposcopy??
    • Posted

Oh no I've been going to the dr faithfully for about 3years either because of long periods cramps or the fact that I'm unable to have sex due to extreme pain. So I've been having the symptoms for awhile that's why I'm so worried.

• Posted

Oh and I'm scheduled for a Ultra sound the same day to check out other possibilities

• Posted

Great. Then I'd say you are pretty safe. Your symptoms, mainly painful intercourse one, are more in line with an inflammatory condition that must be addressed because constant inflammation is dangerous over time. But cancer itself is pretty silent. Gross generalization but typically if it is painful it is not cancer. Cancer tends to be silent except  in advanced stages. Especially cancer of the cervix - there are no notable nerve endings in the cervix. I would be more curious about your vaginal flora right now and also the state of your uterus and ovaries because of the lower back pain, out of order menstrual cycle etc. Make sure that other than the ultrasound they also let you know if you have vaginitis - you may need treatment for that. I hope you get to the bottom of it and feel better very soon.

• Posted

EXAM: Pelvis w Pelvis Transvaginal US

HISTORY: N94.1 Dyspareunia

COMPARISON: None

Technique: Transabdominal and Transvaginal Gray scale and color doppler with

limited spectral doppler imaging of the uterus and ovaries.

Findings: The uterus measures 6.1 x 3.1 x 5.0 cm. The endometrial stripe

measures 0.4 cm.

The right ovary measures 3.4 x 2.5 x 2.3 cm. The left ovary measures 2.9 x 1.7

x 2.0 cm. There is normal doppler flow. No large masses are seen in the

bilateral adnexa.

There is no free fluid.

The bladder is distended and grossly unremarkable.

IMPRESSION:

Unremarkable pelvic ultrasound.

• Posted

Colop results and I have no clue what either mean...if you know please share with me
    • Posted

Hi! These are your ultrasound findings. I am not sure if samples of your cervix were taken during your colposcopy. You would need to ask your doctor if they have done and when your next follow up will be if not, and when to expect histopathology findings if yes. Your ultrasound is ok. No suggestion of inflammation, any rupture or anything suspicious. Unremarkable as it says. Your uterus seems healthy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.