Have been diagnosed woth OA and osteoporosis. Vertabrae cracks and pops. Why?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed with OA and osteoporose. Obviously this hasn't happened over night but i am in pain and my spine and other bones crack and pop terribly and it really frightens me. What does it mean when they pop and crack like that. Doctors just don't tell. Please help. I am very depressed. I'm 59 and just had a first TKR

Pam

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi and don't panic too much! What are your tscores (assuming you have had a bone density check) as that is the only way to diagnose osteoporosis?

An X-ray will show osteoarthritis and that is enough to cause pain in the back. I have two bulging discs so I do have noises in my back. I also have mild scoliosis but so do most people.

I have more issues from the bulging discs and arthritis than I do from the osteoporosis.

The main thing is to avoid falls which goes for everyone whether they have osteoporosis or not as equal numbers of people are from both groups.

Are you sure you have osteoporosis for a start?

• Posted

Yes i have had a bone desity check...The terms will be in French (i live in France) but the scors are the same so here we are :

Rachis Lombaire: -3,8 ds (is that a ds afterward?)

z score : 1.8 ds

Col du femur

TScore : -2,9 ds

z score - 1,7 ds

Hope you understand that because i'm not used to t scores

Conclusion reading   bone loss +++

I can't read the rest.

What do you think Kathleen. Thanks for your interest in me

Pam

• Posted

My results are worse than that. The base of the spine is -4.3.

If you have an X-ray as well it will tell you if you have arthritis or herniated discs or scoliosis.

I have an issue my sacroiliac probably coming off the discs.

Osteoporosis is supposed to be silent but there can be other problems like I stated and you might like to check those out.

Have you started any course of action yet? You might like to start with some supplements. One very good one is vitamin K2. I am guessing you are already taking vitamin D3. Magnesium is another you could add.

Foods that support bone health include avocados, prunes, bone broth, skin of cucumbers, kiwi fruit and leafy greens.

Weight bearing exercise if you are able like walking is excellent.

There is a lot of help on here and you will get good at this as you progress. Try not to stress as it counterproductive but easier said than done,

Start to do your own research and place yourself in charge of your health.

All the best.

• Posted

Have you seen a physiotherapist?  They should be able to give you treatment and exercises which will relax any spasms in your back muscles and help strengthen your core, which will support your spine.  Sounds from your spine may be more alarming than serious, but ask the physio about them.  

Please let us know how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.