Just had scarf akin and second toe surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I've just had a scarf akin and a pipj arthroplasty done, 2 days ago. I didn't know what to expect

The first memorable experience I had was on the trolly before going into theatre. The anaesthetist gave me I V sedation (prior to the nerve block) and nothing happened, I was still on the trolly! I looked at the clock and realised 2 hrs had just passed, my foot was all bandaged up and the operation had been done! An hour later I was on my way home. The operation itself only took 45 mins and I was in no pain.

At home my foot and ankle was totally numb, so didn't want to use it, in case I unknowingly did some harm and had to hop with crutches if I wanted to go anywhere. (An that was a bit of trial and error I can tell you). My foot and ankle remained numb for the rest of the day, I was in no pain what so ever but if i tried to move my ankle, it would nt budge, if I tried to wriggle my toes, they wouldn't budge so all that was a bit weird.

The surgeon kindly rang in the eve to see how I was. She said that was good I was numb, that it was a good nerve block and saved me being in pain..

The next day the numbness started to go. I took ibrofun and solpodeine in expectation of excruciating pain.It didnt happen.The pain I got, was no worse than the pain I got if I had been wearing uncomfortable shoes for too long, before the op.

So so far I am delighted that the pain is not as excruciating as I thought it would be and I m not taking painkillers. I'm still lumbered up though trying to keep the foot in the air, and when I do get up its taking me twise as long to do anything, but so far it's well worth it. To know im rid of that horrible large bunion and that the second toe is now straightened makes it all worthwhile. I can't see what my foot looks like yet as dressings are still on. I'm looking forward to my appointment next week with the surgeon to see my foot!

Anyone else going through similar thing?

I'd love to hear .

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello doro,

gld to hear your positive experience which is similar to mine. I had my op on Wednesday and same as you I was amazed at how quickly the operation went. I was not expecting the ankle block to last as long as it did but so far not had a lot if pain. However, I am taking pain killers as prescribed to keep on top of it. I am able to shuffle from bed to bathroom but still have my foot elevated. I have put a cool sleeve over the top of my foot - it's actually a wine cooler, and it works well. I am trying to pluck up enthusiasm for a shower and hair wash!

hope you continue to do well. There is a great Facebook group, I survived a bunionectomy. Great to hear other stories. Stay positive 

regards jan 

• Posted

Hi Jan

Great to hear from you....is good to know im not the only one going through it. Sounds like you are doing really well too. Mind you I'm not used to all this lounging around but it's quiet good in some ways!! ....must try your trick as it's really hard to keep the ice on an have to admit I have nt used it today at all! Good on you thinking of showering. They gave me a leaflet to order plastic protection boot thing which is hope to order today.

Thanks for telling me about that face book site.

Hope you continue to do well.

Keep me posted 😊

Dorothy

• Posted

Hi, 

i have one of the plastic covers but you have to put your foot through what looks like a very small hole and I'm not cnfident to do that yet. Here are you from?

jan

• Posted

I from N Ireland, near Portrush. Airshow on there today. Where are you from?

Hav ice pack on now. Glad you reminded me 😊

• Posted

I'm in Dorset, south west uk and it's raining today. Glad to be in bed. Take care 

• Posted

Dorset is a lovely place.

Rain never far away here!

Take care

Dorothy

• Posted

There's a great support group on facebook - I Survived A Bunionectomy - you'll find lots good advice on there.

• Posted

Thanks Debbie..... They are horrible things to have. Been hiding my feet for years....looking forward to seeing the end result Did you have both yours done. Must look up that Facebook site
    • Posted

Yes, bilateral scarf and akin on June 6th, 3 months ago. The first 2 weeks were horrible for me, lots of pain as well as discomfort due to codeine constipation and lack of appetite. However I was in pain most of the time before the op with my bunions and knock-on pain in the hip and lower back. I'm having physio now and feeling much better, my new goal is to get back to walking the dog. Best of luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Well done you getting both done......I'll get the other one done some other time !!....luckily I'm in very little or no pain so hav nt had to take those horrible pain killers. But it is difficult to get around and can't do all the things I want to do, yet , but it'll come. My goal is to get a shower some day next week!...all the best with the rest of your recovery. ...you are nearly there !! 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.