Stiff index finger and thumb

Posted , 3 users are following.

finger and thumb very stiff swollen and sore on waking. Need massage and gentle movements until warmed up. Thumb joint also clicking in and out.  No injury happened. Is thus arthritis?  Have had X-ray. Think I need cortisone injection? Any thoughts?  Will they return to normal? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

What did the x ray show .  Normally there would be some evidence of athritis though that shows up better on an MRI. A cortisone injection might help but wont last for ever and if its tendon you may not be able to have more than 2 in case the tendon splits It does sound like athritis . It maybe that a splint to support the area would help
    • Posted

X Ray did show arthritis. Feel I need a cortisone injection. Thumb pain is making life difficult. Thanks for reply I need to get back to the dr!!
  • Posted

it sounds like arthritis, in the joints, that what i am going through, i just 4 months ago had my thumb joint replaced, it is a surgery that has a long recovery, up to a yr, to get most strenght back in the thumb, i am having pain in several of my hand foot joints, while trying to do my theropy, i would say contact a good hand spine surgeon and he will most likly make you do cortizone shots first, they did nothing for me, u can google the thumb surgery its in  a video on Utube, a live recorded one, don't let it scare you, i think it was worth it, but i also am trying to figure out what  to do about the rest of my joints going bad, more surgerys i don't know.

• Posted

Thanks for reply- feel I need some cortisone. It worked on hip and wrist for me. Hate the thought of surgery
    • Posted

They say cortisone works for some joints and not for others, hope it works, it worked for me yrs ago in my knee, but had it in my neck and my thumb and nothing. Sometimes surgery is the only option.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.