Does citalopram really work

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been prescribed citalopram but I'm scared to take them due to bad reviews I've also been prescribed xanax for anxiety

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I too was scared. I'm on both unfortunately. Been on cit for a year now. The first three months were brutal. Everyone is different. Got worse before getting better. Stuck with it just hoping one day it would help my suffering. And it did. If you want to talk I'm here. Anxiety is an adventure lol

• Posted

Yes I think I'll start to take the citalopram Monday to see how it makes me feel also while taking your citalopram do you still feel the need to take the xanax and does this combination affect your daily life and any way

• Posted

I also didn't want to take any medication but ultimately did and I am feeling much better now 3 months after starting.

Howver, the first 2 months were rough. Ativan didn't work well enough for the increased anxiety that happened initially but Clonaxepam worked wonders.

I am now feeling soooo much better and almost back to 100%. The only thing now is the medication makes me tired at times and yawn. Not a bad payoff iny opinion.

• Posted

Well thats good to know I was also wondering does this combination have any affect with alcohol or if you drink socially
    • Posted

I don't drink since starting these meds. I have changed my diet to a Mediterranean eating plan. I quit all caffeine and other types of stimulants like sugar filled drinks or food.

More leafy green vegetables and fruits and smaller meat portions. Lots,of grains, healthy oils and nuts

• Posted

Hi, I'm at the 8 week mark taking 20mg and I was feeling great but last couple of days I've had head ache, sore stomach and feeling nauseous! It's got me down a bit. I am way better than I was but just worried as to why I'm having these days.

• Posted

These days are when you have to use your CBT . You need to strengthen your mind during the good times. When I feel my heart beat hard now, I think positive like " what a strong heart I have" if something is feeling funny and I feel myself falling into the habit of getting anxious I talk to myself or out loud saying things,like no, no, no this is,stupid and,kind of scold myself. It usually works pretty quickly.

If I feel kind of antsy I go for a,walk.

The medicine will need your help too.

• Posted

Thanks Diane, great advice! I am still waiting on CBT I'm on the waiting list but I have been trying some mindfulness and talk to myself a lot to which helps.

You are so right that the medicine needs my help. These last couple of days though I've been on tender hooks! I'm in a much better place than I was so I'll keep pushing through 😊

• Posted

I use distractions a,lot!

You are strong and you'll do well!

• Posted

How have you been? I'm still taking both. But I can still function on a high level

• Posted

Hi, I'm on week 8 and I have to say the last couple of days have been a struggle and I was losing faith but I know it can take up to 3 months. It's been good for me and I am having so many more good than bad days! Just thought I'd be back to myself by now.

• Posted

Hello nelly18514.....i was prescribed citalopram about 2 months ago and I'm just now getting the script filled. I was willing to try it b/c My anxiety has gotten worse. However, after reading all the reviews Idk which is worse, the anxiety attacks or the side effects. How are you feeling now?

• Posted

Im over 5 wks. Wed the 20th will be 6 wks. I really hope 20mg Citolopram starts doin something but making me tired all time an eat. Anxiety is sometimes gone then BAM! Its back with a vengeance an I take Klonapine. 0.5mg. This is med #7. Im just in a bad mood rt now or low mood an Im like " Im on a antidepressant for freaks sake! Why am I in this mood!! Im tired of it!" Does Tylenol with Codiene interfere with the effectiveness of it? Iv had a tooth abcess for wks an then finally had money to yank it so been on it for 3-4 wks. Im at my witts end really. What other meds besides Effexor (terror drug an hell getting off), Paxil (no way), Vybrid ( expensive, no insurance)& Trintillex (sp? & expensive). Amitriptyline is for pain (i have fibromyalgia) but knocks you out. Iv tried Zoloft,Lexapro,Cymbalta (high blood pressure), Wellbutrin XL (rage), Prozac (psycho, suicidal)& Lamictal (why I dont know, i dont have bi-polar an it made me sick after 2 days!) So Im giving another wk then stopping I guess unless someone can help me!!

• Posted

Sorry I meant Feb. 23 it will be 6 wks on it.
    • Posted

Hi, my gosh you could be me.  I have tried all these concoctions and all made me worse. Prozac nearly killed me. Amitriptylie knock out, Zoloft nausea and anxiety through roof.  I would like to know if Trintillex would work but its not approved here.  I have given up with these but i am still not better, dont know how i will manage till they ask me to try another one, what do i say, just want to get better.  Side effects of all these for me have been awful, no respite.  Dont blame you for giving up.  I strongly think that there are those of us, for whatever reason, just cannot tolerate these meds.  I have friends on citalopram, effexor, prozac, mirtazapine all doing well.  Whats wrong with me apart from anxiety and depression i dont know but i wish they could fix it. Look forward to your news.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.