Unsure when to go to ER

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had back problems for a long time. All my lumbar discs are herniated or prolapse so I'm kinda used to nerve pain however the last month it's getting out of control. Both legs, muscle weakness, feeling like cold water running down my legs, can hardly walk most of the time. Should I go to ER. I'm worried I'm doing irreversible damage.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

If you are concerned go to the er. better to be safe than sorry.
  • Posted

Absolutely. They need to do an MRI with and without contrast of the entire spine from the cervical thoracic all the way down to the lumbar and even do a nerve conductive study because it sounds to me that you have some nerve impingement which is causing nerve damage the extremities and they can help.
  • Posted

Absolutely. They need to do an MRI with and without contrast of the entire spine from the cervical thoracic all the way down to the lumbar and even do a nerve conductive study because it sounds to me that you have some nerve impingement which is causing nerve damage the extremities and they can help.
  • Posted

I do think you should go to the ER. You may need a surgical workup. It certainly sounds as though surgery would help. Good luck. Keep us posted.
  • Posted

If you are in UK they tend to wait until you have no control over your bowel! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if you are in such pain you would be better going to your GP who can give you some medication. I know exactly how you feel and it's not pleasant, I'm hoping to have my third fusion this month but I'm not holding my breath! Good luck with whatever route you decide to follow and let us know how you get on. Linda x

• Posted

Linda, why a third fusion and where are you and your physician located? Im in Atlanta so I havhave been seen in Emory and Piedmont as well as Dallas Tx. How's the day to day storyline of yours? Are you able to work or do regular activities? Whar is the prognosis for the future and the process and treatment plans moving forward with the rest of the Spine?

• Posted

Hi Alicia, I'm in Northern Ireland and just like the rest of the UK our NHS is really bad, waiting lists like you wouldn't believe! For me to tell you the complete story would take a long, long time but here is the brief one - very brief! 1984 I went on the waiting list for the first one but due to waiting lists here I was sent to Dublin. The Consultant there decided I didn't need the big long fusion that everyone else had talked about up here so he went ahead and did a shorter one. So guess what - it didn't work, quite a few months later I was back with him for the fusion he was supposed to do the first time! Here's the good bit, he called the operation off while I was on the table, I was wakened and expecting to be told everything was great etc, etc. The excuse was I had breathing problems, I've never had a breathing problem in all my life! My GP here was furious but her hands were tied but she did send me off to have some tests and you got it, no breathing problems! I have been back on the waiting list ever since but I do have a complaint in against the NHS which is the reason, I'm sure, why my Consultant sent for me out of the blue in June and he told me he would do the op in September but I wasn't given a date in September so I'm still patiently waiting...... Now you have the short, very short version. Thank you for your interest, have you had  a fusion! Linda

• Posted

I can't believe that because everything I read I always hear research studies that are done first in the UK and I always thought that they have really great health care System. Yes I have a fusion at the age of 21 years old and it was done just for looks I guess because it didn't help my pain at all I had right side flank pain and heat remove the disc and fused it put some screws and called it a day. I went back for my post-op visit and he pawned me off on pain management doctor said I don't know why you're not any better see you later. And then in 2013 I had my second fusion and that went really well until the motor vehicle accidents that have stated before that has brought on a whole new onset of pain in new areas. I can't believe that the healthcare system is like that over there is it because it's the government or is there a shortage? Are you possibly able to fly to us to see doctors so I guess you can't because you don't have insurance here that was a dumb question. Sorry about that. So what are your symptoms right now?

• Posted

Hi Linda,

At what levels have you had your fusions and how did you feel afterwards?

Did it improve your pain at all?

Regards

Albero

• Posted

Hi Alicia, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you but it hasn't been a very good couple of months for me, pain like you wouldn't believe! 

I had a phone call on Monday evening asking me to go for a pre-op and then she told me my op would be next Thursday! I had all the tests done today and everything was good with the exception of the date, it has now moved to 6th October, it's only another week hopefully.

How are you keeping now Alicia, any ease of pain? I had to laugh at your suggestion of flying to USA, forgetting about the insurance, my son and family live in Houston and I haven't even been able to go there! Next year I will be taking flights all over the world when this is all over, I hope.......

Linda

• Posted

Hi Albero,

How's things with you? You didn't mention pain or anything so just wondering what stage you're at.

I felt pretty good after the operation but that didn't last for very long and the pain just got worse and worse. Most days I'm not able to do very much as the pain just won't let me even when I try to fight through it! I'm hoping this will all change as I'm having another fusion on 6th October but I'm trying not to hope for too much!

Linda x

• Posted

As Linda said, they only treat people that lose control as an emergency. If you are in unbearable pain, the only way to be seen relatively quick is to go to uour GP and say that you wet yourself and they will rush you to hospital. Been there, worn the T-shirt and got the scars BUT please think carefully before you do this and be careful what you wish for. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.