How did you injure your ankle and what's your age?

Posted , 37 users are following.

I've been reading posts for a good while now and have found everyone to be so kind, caring, compassionate and helpful.  People are really friendly here!

I thought it might be interesting to just give a short sentence or two, on how we got hurt and if you want to, include your age. 

I got hurt at a Prince Tribute Skate (roller skating) on May 10th.  I had a Closed bimalleolar Fracture of left ankle.   I'm 51.   biggrin

Beth

3 likes, 160 replies

160 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Broke my fibula near the ankle.  Did not need surgery but was NWB for 6 weeks.  Slipped on wet grass walking down a hill.  I was happily on my way to play Pickleball !! ( think tennis with a wooden paddle on a smaller court).  Am 64 years young.  Got injured 5 1/2 months ago.  Have resumed all activities except tennis and Pickleball.  Ankle stiff when I first get up in morning.  Gets better with activity.  Still random tenderness.  
    • Posted

Roach63, I'm  glad you didn't need surgery.  NWB can be so hard. 

Beth

• Posted

Hi Beth! Nice idea smile

I'm 28, and broke both ankles (among other things) in a car accident when I was 19. My left ankle was an open fracture (surgeon said it was the worst break he'd ever seen), and the right was not quite as bad - but still required surgery.

My left ankle is completely fused (no movement at all) and my right is partly fused with chronic pain (currently awaiting a below knee amputation). Both ankles and feet have arthritis.

Look forward to reading other peoples bios smile

• Posted

Ceejay87, that is terrible!  But I'm glad you are still with us!  I always try to tell myself.........."It could have been worse." 

Beth

• Posted

I am so sorry- just  so sad.  There are no words- but just the happy faces tell me you have a good attitude.  you have been dealing with the pain for 10 years.... 
  • Posted

Firstly I'm 72!Not the age to start breaking bones but have to do it sometime I reckon.

I fell from top to bottom of staircase in our home only three months after having total right hip replacement!!! Broke tib & fib & dislocated talus.

That was 7 weeks ago but surgery 5.5 weeks ago. Now have plate, screws & more screws.

Trying to stay upbeat but difficult when mobility is so affected.

It must be awful for people who live alone.

I have physio privately on a weekly basis and the scars are a simple red line and fading fast.

I'm in an air-walker now after 4 previous casts!Much better. I ditch the boot for sleeping and most of daytime unless I'm walking about.

Seeing surgeon in 12 days - hoping he can say ditch boot altogether and get me walking in shoes albeit on two crutches for a while.

• Posted

Pauline, I know you can't wait to get rid of the boot.  And it is hard when mobility is affected.  You are so right about that.

Beth

• Posted

Bimalleolar fracture- right foot.

getting out of our car- did not realize that my left foot was caught on the strap of my purse..... by the time i realized it- I was on the way to the ground already redface.

I now call it 'the damn purse'!

I am 58- will be 59 next sunday!

• Posted

Jan, these things happen so fast!  And I would call it the same thing you did, but in my case, "Damn skates!"  lol

Beth

• Posted

I tripped over a blind dog who just stopped suddenly when coming from last walk of the night.  I disclocated and broke my ankle in 3 places.  I am 70.  At 20 weeks I started golfing again!
    • Posted

OMG!  Carol, you sound like me:  When you go, you go all out!  I'm glad you started golfing again.  It's good to get back to the things we once could do. 

Beth

• Posted

70 and back to gofling in 20 weeks.  You give me inspiration- I can do this!!lol  Thank you for sharing your story

• Posted

are you walking it or riding in a cart? Either way I am very happy for you!! I think I could do it now with a cart. I broke mine in three places and am 63... I'm 28 weeks out from surgery.  I think you are doing awesome!  It is amazing how much so many people seem to improve after about the 5th month.  I

• Posted

Hi there.. I am almost 7 months out from a trimalleor break.. I am starting to get back in the swing of things..  Still a few aches and pains... I am 63.
    • Posted

Cass, 7 months out and counting.  Me too!  I'm not 7 months out, but I sure am counting!  LOL  My accident was May 10th and I have literally been counting the days and it's WONDERFUL to see more time between the accident date and the present date. 

Beth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.