MS and dizziness?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Long story short, I had idiopathic vertigo for 11 years with no diagnosis. It wasn't until all these MS symptoms started that I have a constant dizziness. I was also finally diagnosed with Ménière's disease in June, but never had Ménière's attacks until these MS symptoms started.

So my question is: does anyone else have a constant dizzy feeling? I just feel "off" all of the time. Disoriented sometimes. Brain fog. Also with my other symptoms (blurred eye, gait disturbance, etc.) I'm having a spinal done in a few weeks so that's why I'm posting here.

I've also read that menieres and MS may be connected.

Thanks for your time.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had to briefly read up on what menieres is, what I read said that it isn't known what the cause is, it also gave a brief description of how it affects the sufferer. It reads like an effect of MS... (I've seen you post on other things I've posted on, we certainly seem to overlap a fair bit?!).

• Posted

Do you have dizziness as an MS symptom? Yes, Menieres is rough! A large study through Univ. of California found that a person with Menieres has the same quality of life as a person with AIDS or cancer 6 days from their death. 

• Posted

I sympathise, some of these conditions we live with make life tough. I did get a lot of dizziness, before 2012, after that point, it's hard to know what causes dizziness, between MS and the after effects of brain surgery (which causes hydrocephalus, which makes me really dizzy). Quite where one ends and the other begins us anyone's guess. It's all the pains that are hardest to deal with, I know you get that.

• Posted

Hi Hayhue. I was diagnosed with Meniere's in May 2015.  When I was first diagnosed I had to crawl on the floor to go to the bathroom. Even though I am more stable (thanks to Ativan believe it or not) I believe the study because I live it everyday! Now that I have the Meniere's diganosis I can not find a Dr. who will listen to the newer symptoms that have presented themselves that are more like MS symptoms. It is interesting to hear that Menieres and MS could be related? I finally was able to get a neuroologist nagged into an MRI referral. Not sure if it will be a relief or not if it is positive for MS but it could actually be better than Menieres and crawling on the floor to go to the bathroom on my bad days. I am new to the site so thanks for sharing everyone! I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada. 

• Posted

I think of crawling to the bathroom at least once a day lol this disease is horrible. And it's not even just the dizziness anymore, it's the unwell feeling and now my left leg is so heavy that I can't walk right half the time. Also the whole body fatigue is horrible. When I stand up, I just feel as if there's an anchor holding my body down. Even getting up to go to the bathroom feels inconveniencing. I'm surprised no one gave you an MRI in the first place when you presented with vertigo. What are your new symptoms?

• Posted

Hi Hayhue,

I have been waiting over a year for an MRI. I was supposed to have it in March but the MRI broke down and Doctors in my area are not allow to refer patients to other hospitals with MRI machines. So it is booked for November. Besides the vertigo and dizziness which is chronic and having no balance, not being able to look down without feeling like fainting and feeling really off and like I do not belong in my body. My tinnitus is so bad somedays I think I am going crazy. I have learned to fall asleep with ear buds in so I can listen to white noise. I also started having a heavy feeling all on my right side, tingling around the lips, in my hands and feet, zingers that run up and down from the top of my head to the my toes, difficulty swallowing (even just water) and tremours that once were only in my right hand that have now spread to most of my upper body and some days I have to pay attention to take a normal breath. I have been told my new symptoms are anxiety related from the Menieres. Since I am on Long Term Disablity I have to try anything the Dr. suggests so I was on Antidepressants but they made me fall down all the time. I feel much better off of them but I am having a hard time finding something that will give me relief except Ativan which is an addictive drug but I only take it to get a break from the tremours or if I need to go out to get groceries or go to an appointment. I calms the Central Nervous System but when it wears off it all comes back. I am sure there are other things but these are the main ones. 

• Posted

I have so many of the same symptoms you listed! Especially when you said zingers because I get the same brain zap/electrical shock feeling running through my body ALL the time. Sometimes it makes me dizzy. My tinnitus is high pitched and it's super annoying too especially at night. I have twitches too in my fingers, my eye lids, my lips, and my thighs. My thighs used to squeeze so bad and feel heavy I would be in so much pain. Now it's my left leg that is heavy. Like if you pick it up in comparison to my right, it's heavy. I also have numbness on my face and my forearms and shins. I also have skipped heart beats it feels and like a sleep apnea type thing. It all happened so slow but fast you know?

Crazy how we both have these. I've been prescribed a water pill but I'm allergic to it and Klonopin which is a vestibular suppressant but it's addictive too. I would love to try an antidepressant but they make me very dizzy as well. I can't ever make it past the initial side effects.

• Posted

Two of you mention 'zingers', see if you think that something called: 'L'HERMITTES SIGN' sounds familiar. There's a decent description of it on wiki, if it sounds like it might be what's happening to either of you, try to keep your neck upright and your head held in the normal way when looking straight ahead.

• Posted

Another thing you could look up a description of, is 'restless leg syndrome', it mostly causes electric shock type, often painful and very definitely freaky jolts. Mine seem to spread up into my torso. I can handle a fair bit of pain, but the electric shock sensation really is the symptom I dread. Isn't it always so cheery here?! Sorry.

• Posted

I've read about it before but I don't get them only when I move my head/neck. I get them randomly for no reason at all. From what I've researched, it's the same kind of brain zaps people get after coming off of SSRI withdrawal except I haven't taken any antidepressants. But I've wondered if that sign can just happen out of nowhere or if it has to be provoked? From what I read, it has to be provoked. Mine start from back of my head/neck and goes down my body. Feels like my eyes cause it tbh. It's so weird lol this whole disease is and I'm not sure I even have it yet.

• Posted

Hi,

What were your symptoms for mineres/ms?

I've been feeling quite dizzy on and off now for about 3-4 weeks, I also have a strange tingling type sensation on the bridge of my nose. My doctor said it's acute sinusitis and gave me a weeks dose of antibiotics but it doesn't seen

• Posted

What are you symptoms?

I keep having weird tingling sensations in/on my head, almost like pins and needles. This sensation travels to different parts of my head.

This sensation seems to have started ever since I visited my physio therapist, he cracked my neck and since then I've had a really sore/stiff neck and these weird sensations. Maybe it's a trapped or damaged nerve? It just seems odd that it's only come on since seeing him. Also it makes me feel dizzy and nauseous. I'm seeing my doctor on Monday so I will ask her. Does anyone else think this is possible??

• Posted

It does sound as though there's a connection, it's so easy for nerves to be trapped just moving around quite normally, without someone doing something you describe as 'cracking' your neck. Do try to keep your spine in a straightish position, with your shoulders as low down as you comfortably can,. This will keep as much pressure off your nerve roots as possible and could help to reduce your discomfort. Try taking antiinflammatory tablets, too, if you can

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.