Polymyalgia and Statins

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone read last night on the forum that there maybe a connection between polymyalgia and taking statins especially Simvastation which apparently has listed it on their leaflet I have been on them for 25yrs since having a stroke when I was 47 I'm now 72 never had a problem taking this was just interested to see how many people who have had polymyalgia were taking statins at the time I take altrovistatin.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had taken Simvistatin, but had gone off of it about six months or a year before developing PMR, not sure if there would be a connection for me or not, I am thinking not.  I need to check exactly when I stopped taking it.  I am interested in this too.  I just take Niacin now.  
    • Posted

Never heard of Niacin Donna it will be interesting to see if more people reply to the post 
    • Posted

Niacin is an over-the-counter vitamin that has been used for years in lieu of statins.  My doctor recommended it when I went off of the Simvistatin.
    • Posted

My doctor recommends 3 X 500 mg a day, I am sure that corn flakes doesn't have too much.  I think it is in most vitamins, but we need a lot more to work on the cholesterol.  I sure prefer it to taking a statin.  

• Posted

I was on Crestor. Got off till around 2 months ago. My doctor says its ok, but I feel worse.
    • Posted

My GP thought I should when we were waiting for diagnosis. My rheumatologist isn't concerned

• Posted

I shall make my gp aware of this fact re polymyalgia and statins I think there is so much they are not aware of I shall continue to take it because my caritorid artery is twisted this they found out in later years it was first thought when I had the stroke it was blocked but after angagrams found it wasnt to bad and the risks of the operation then 25yrs ago out weighed the risks of another stroke 
    • Posted

76 year old friend had caratoid op 6 months ago, in and out in two days. No problems.

However, I would discuss this with your GP as GCA is the biggest member of the Vascultis group of illnesses and PMR is its sister.  I would be asking for caratoid, aorta and pulmonary to be checked out.

• Posted

Yes my cousin had the op several years ago but it wasn't like that 25 yrs ago my vascular surgeon thinks that the twist or as he put it like a shepherd crook carotid was probably there from birth

• Posted

Different statin Olwen, no nuscel pain listed on that one as far as I can see.

Grains of sand...............for cause and cure.

• Posted

No I no I havnt seen anything listed and never had a problem with it so I shall continue with it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.