2 YEARS POST OP - TRAPPED NERVE IN SCAR TISSUE

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a scarf osteotomy 2 years ago and have suffered very badly with what can only be described as a gravity feeling in my big toe which radiates across the rest of my toes, it's a mix of that feeling like your foot will explode after you have been on a long flight and your foot balloons, to having cut your nails too short that the toe feels all fuzzy as well as when you have been in the freezing cold and plunge your feet in hot water and the feel like they are going to crack. I really have no other way of describing it. So after having endured this since my op, I decided to return to the consultant. Having checked my foot he noted the scarring was thick (probably due to the fact that he had trust my foot up like a joint of pork, which will also explain why my big toe always looks like it is full morning glory!) Anyway he injectd the scar tissue with some lignocaine and it relieved the symptoms and he concluded that the cutaneous nerve may be trapped within the scar tissue. So it seems I now require exploritary surgery to see if this is the case. Needless to say that I am cautious as to whether this will make it better or worse, Having endured this for almost 2 years, I am willing to try anything. This sensation affects my whole life, it's like a living hell, only I can feel it. It's really getting me down. More to the point since he injected my foot the sensation has got worse so I suspect that it is something to do with the nerve being trapped. Has anyone else suffered from this, I feel so alone as no one can see how I feel and it's driving me nuts.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I feel for you. Did you check out your surgeon before the operation? I think many of them don't know what they're doing and are just anxious to cut.  I am 2 months post op and things have gone from bad to worse. He promised me that he was "conservative" and that he would offer other remedies before cutting my foot, but he did not -- apparently, he was only anxious to get me into the operating so he could practice. He did a Weir osteotomy, fused the big toe joint and pinned the second and third toes, which were a failure -- now I have no feeling in those toes and can't wiggle or bend them at all. My surgeon had no experience and I feel he used me as a gunnea pig. Walking, hiking and running were my life and he has succeeded in turning me into a cripple and I don't see anything improving in the near future. If I had it to do over again, I would see an experienced podiatrist for othodotics, or something.

• Posted

Mine is an orthopaedic surgeon i think my issues are that he stitched too tight. Im due to have surgery again in October to rectify this mess. All I know is i can't live with this as it is 😭

• Posted

Well after 7 months of consultations with various consultants I finally have a date for my surgery to investigate the cutaneous nerve issue. April 10th. Does anyone know if the recovery period for this type of surgery please?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.