Increased my Gabapentin and I feel so weird. does anyone feel like this when they go up?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I fractured my spine 2 years ago, doing gymnastics. Im 23 and have horrible Back problems. i also have epilepsy so the pain keeps me awake all night so im scared it will trigger a seizure. (but i havent had one in 2 years biggrin) But i was on Gabapentin last year 100mgs, it wasnt really doing anything so i stopped. Now i moved across the country and have just been trying to ignore it, but i couldnt so my doctor put my on 600mgs. Now i took it, and i just feel so weird. I really dont like it. I cant even describe it but i feel very spacy and i just was hopeing someone had this experience and knew when i was going to feel normal again? cry Thanks!!!!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

yes gabapentin can make you feel very very tired and out of it...talk to your doctor maybe he can reduce it to 500 and see if you feel any better.......as you know gabapentin is a horrible drug with lots of side effects.....I know some people dont have a choice.......Best of luck to you
  • Posted

your body needs time to get use to it........it takes time.......you feel better but that tired feeling really doesnt go away......everyone reacts differently
  • Posted

Hi, you aren't alone. Was on Gabapentin 100 mgs twice daily and felt weird also. Loopy and spaced out. Did nothing for pain. Decided to stop taking. Did so by dropping 1/2 cap every week over 2 month period. Memory probs getting better since off. Not sure will ever feel better when on this terrible med. Wish you the best and hope feel better.

• Posted

was only taking 400 mg once a day.....felt tired ....didnt like the way it made me feel   started a little over a year ago I am now taking 100 mg daily....got withdrawals when i did 100 every other day......dr wanted me to stay on it for a few months....I stopped taking depakoe completely in June........Feel like a different person.......going to try to get liquid form so I can hopefully drop 10 mg every 3 to 4 weeks    and if needed drop only 5 at times.......just want off
    • Posted

Liquid along with getting off great idea. Wish you best luck and feel better.
    • Posted

thank you... I didn't know about the liquid...someone I believe on this forum told me about it and how to drop down from 100  

• Posted

I did with dividing caps....wasn't easy but managed. Off now for 3 months.

• Posted

Hi Kelly.  When I started on Gabapentin, my doctor thought it should be started slowly, with only 1x300mg capsule a day for the first week before increasing to the second capsule the next week (and so on up to 1200).  I felt spaced out on 900 so his suggestion was that I take only one pill in the morning and the rest at night.  You might find it works for you to take the whole dose at night to keep your symptoms under control without your brain turning to mush during the day.  Check with your doctor.
    • Posted

I take mine in the evenings just before bedtime, so the tiredness is a good thing that helps me sleep more soundly.
    • Posted

I agree Eowyn33.  I take mine at night and sleep very well with them.
  • Posted

I have been on Gabapentin for 7 years.  I take 1800mgs a day.  The only thing it did was make me sleep better.  No strange feelings here  Talk to your doctor about it
  • Posted

I understand what you are describing about feeling spacy. I just started taking gabapentin about 3 weeks ago and I am feeling weird every time I take my dose. I take 300mg 3 times a day. I was prescribed this medication because I have severe pain especially when I first wake up. I have degenerated disc disease and I have HNPP which is a hereditary nerve disorder.
  • Posted

I have just started the extended release Gabapentin called Gralise. It does make me feel spacey too, but I find after I get up and get going it's not as bad (I take all mine with my evening meal). I've seen several people post about how horrible this medication is, but everyone has a different experience. I've been on all sorts of meds to try and get off narcotics and so far this is the only thing that is coming close. Yes, I feel fuzzy, yes I have some memory issues, but really I had to do something to get off the narcotics.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.