80 y/o With Severe Nasal Drip Caused by Drinking Water

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello All,My elderly mother has been suffering from a bazaar condition which the ENT’s termed Idiopathic Vasomotor Rhinitis, which means they really don’t know. The symptoms oddly start when she drinks water: Post nasal drip, then clearing of throat, coughing, and a feeling as if something is in her throat. These episodes get aggressive, and last for hours. I feel helpless and can only wait for symptoms to subside. She is 80 and my heart goes out to her. She feels depressed and despair. Meds, sprays have been useless. A swallow study was negative. Allergy Tests-Negative. We are at our wits end and desperate for some knowledge

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear this. Does it only happen with water, or with other types of drink? I'm wondering if it is something to do with the temperature. The cough reflex is very complicated.

Meanwhile, you might try rubbing her back up between the shoulder blades when she has a coughing fit. My partner does this for me and it helps- probably distraction!

• Posted

Thanks. I understand where you are coming from but physical stim won't help with the post nasal drip and subsequent feeling something (saliva/mucus) stuck in her throat which is very hard for her to relieve/cough up

• Posted

Ah well, just a thought. I get similar symptoms ( tho probably not as bad as your poor mum) and it does help me. So do nasal decongestant sprays. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.