My Story Thus Far

Posted , 6 users are following.

Wanted to formally say hello to everyone. I am about to be 43 and live in the U.S.. Well was starting to experience bowel issues in 2013. Major rushes of D with extreme amounts of mucus. Then the left sided pain set in shortly thereafter. Bowel changes with alternation between semi solid to watery. Went to doc and they did blood work,celiac test,h pylori,etc. All were normal. They suggested IBS. Was losing weight during that time. Went from about 190 lbs. to 145 mid 2014 before I started to regain my weight. By November 2014 when I had my colonoscopy I was not feeling to bad other than occasional left sided pain that was tolerable. Scope results were "normal colon". IBS became my diagnosis. Well from that time through about March of this year I was doing o.k. in general. Still had alternating bowel habits and daily left sided pain was there but manageable. Well around april I started getting urinary symptoms like I had a uti. Frequency,late night trips,pain in bladder,etc. Well I had it checked nothing found. It stopped botherung me after only a 48 hr period. So may comes and I had what I thought was a gastrointestinal bug that gave me diarrhea,cramps and chills. Ran to toilet all night with painless watery movements. Went away next day and felt fine. Did not get it checked as it went away. Well July comes. Had late night left sided cramps wake me with gas all night. By morning of the 13th I was in full diarrhea mode to the point of seeating and extreme abdominal cramps. By noon I was passing blood but not much else. Went straight to emergency where I had a smaller amount pass then a movement of undigested food with no blood. Bleeding ceased. Did not have fever but white blood cell count was up and so were nuetrophils. CT with contrast revealed sigmoid diverticulosis but no diverticulitis. Nothing out of thd ordinary. Bladder,prostate,male reproductive organs all unremarkable. Was sent home to follow up with doctor so I did. My doctor still thinks its IBS and the bleeding was from either rupturd internal roid or what may have been a gi bug. She said diarrhea can sometimes cause bleeding. Especially forceful diarrhea which the july 13 event was. I told her I thought there was still some minute bleeding as my stool sometimes looked streaked. She said that it has only been 20 or so months since my scope which revealed nothing so she was not to concerned. So that was that. She wrote me elavil for IC,IBS and back pain relief due to left sided sciatica. I already was scheduled to see GI after her on Sept. 1st so I intended to go. Which I did. He says he thinks that even with the negative ct that there is diverticulitis that is of the smoldering type. Wrote me cipro 500mg 2x daily and flagyl 500mg 2x daily. I showed him the blood stained toilet. He said the big D can do that. I asked if he thought a I needed a confirmatory scope to get proper diverticulosis diagnoses because my scope did not see these pouches or anything else in Novemeber 2014. He said maybe down the road but not now due to him thinking I was inflammed. He did not seem to think a scope was all that important at least for now considering I just had one under two years ago. I am concerned however. I do not truly have a confirmed case of diverticulitis although I must admit the symptoms do seem to fit regardless of the ct scan. So here I sit. Anxious about the cipro and flagyl. Not wanting to be floxed. And having not took it yet. Am having some symptons but bo fever,bowel movements coming every morning although with their usual alternating pattern. Sort of unsure of which way to go at this point. Do I take the antibiotics risking horrible side effects not even knowing if I have true diverticulitis? What if I do and I am gambling with a horrible end result to come? I am a bit overwhelmed thinking I was just IBS all this time and now this. Could use sound advice,support and suggestions.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I would not take them but then I have been floxed. Augmentin works for bowel bacteria . You could ask for another antibiotic..
    • Posted

I am considering that. I wonder if anyone has had any success with just one of these two beasts besides just taking then both? I have read that if you space them out by a few hours that it isnt as bad as taking both at the same time.
    • Posted

That will not avoid the delayed effects of Cipro if you are going to get them.
  • Posted

You could also go on a clear liquid diet for several days to rest the bowel ,followed by low fibre. In Scandinavia they do not use abx for this condition but bowel rest. Probiotics will help put good bacteria into the guts. Aloe vera juice can help with inflammation. Avoid tough meat as this is difficult to digest.
  • Posted

You should take the antibiotics you will be fine I have took them together take One ciprofloxaxin and then take the other biotic 2 hours later also take aloe Vera juice twice a day and a probiotic
  • Posted

Curtis, I am from the US also and was diagnosed only after two trips to the ER and being accused of drug seeking twice by two different doctors at two different hospitals.  These attacks were several weeks apart.  I was taking Cipro and Flagyl at the same time with no side effects except a very nasty taste in my mouth that lasted about a week after I finished my round.  When the finally decided to do a CT with contrast (after my daughter ate the doctor for dinner after his insinuations) was I finally diagnosed as my abdomin lit up like a Christmas tree.  These will help with the inflamation and will in turn stop the pain.  I highly recommend the liquid diet to rest your bowel and the probiotics to keep the good bacteria in there especially while taking the antibiotics.  The third bout put me in the hospital for 6 days trying to heal an abcess in one of the pockets.  Went home and a few weeks later I started passing gas through my bladder.  The thing that ended up putting me into surgery was a fistula from my colon to my bladder.  The colon was dumping bacteria and feces (small amounts) into my bladder along with gas, hence the bladder infection (Cipro).  Lost 10.5 inches of my sigmoid colon.  

You will hear all sorts of stroies on here and all sorts of advice of which is very good advice.  It all comes from different folks experiences and what they did to put their DD at rest.  Sometimes it can be controlled with diet and sometimes it doesn't matter what you eat, invaribly something that you eat today may cause a flare but you eat it again and it won't cause a flare.  I think it's best said, it's trial and error for your food.  But when in a flare the tried and true result is to stay on a liquid diet for a few day to let the bowel rest.  

You can get through this Curtis, just take it slow and know that you have a whole group of friends on here who are willing to stick by your side and support you through all of this.  Stay in touch and keep us up on your condition and experience.  

Lucy  

• Posted

I will Lucy. I have decided to take my first dose this evening with my dinner (as of right now I can eat solid food. I am just eating once a,day actually,my evening meal). Tomorrow I plan on taking the combo with two pieces of plain toast but other than that all liquids for three days. I only am adding the toast to stave off stomach pain and reflux issues. I have bad gerd and do not want esophogitis again. As for the probiotic I will check the local walgreens for that acidipholopolous stuff lol and give it a go. Also plan on taking this poison an hour a part from each other.
    • Posted

It might help your system regarding the acid reflux to take it every time with at least one piece of toast.  I have GERD also and am suffering with it as I speak because the prilosec generic is as bad for your body as the GERD is for your stomach so I have quit taking it and will be taking over the counter antacids.  Take care of your stomach (acid).  It can get really bad, really fast.  I take the Schiff brand probiotics.  They are gummy bears and say they have a better chance of surviving the stomach acid and digestive juices to get to your gut better than the pills.  There are store brands of these same types of acidolpholus.  The poison helped me during a time when I was in so much pain and had no idea what was causing it.  I went to an Atlanta Braves ballgame and sat there miserable the entire time.  Before I knew that food only made it worse I ate a 6" sandwich and chips and coke on the way home.  Not a good idea.  I almost had to be carried to the car and then in the house when I got home.  I lived almost a month before going to the doctor because I had an out of town guest and a big party going on for her.  Oh Lordy, I can remember the pain like it was yesterday.  It comes in waves.  You only get a small breather before it's back again, just as strong as before.  

I will think positive thoughts and whisper a prayer that the meds don't harm your body and only do it good.

Stay strong and keep in touch.  

• Posted

I think cutting back on my food in take has helped. But never did the liquid only. Its time to rest thiings for a few days. I am glad to hear that you made it through surgery and are I assume doing much better today than before. If I had the option of elective surgery I would probably take it. I want no more part of this already. I will keep in touch with you all as I enjoy frequenting this particular forum online. Good people here who are living it all just like us. Its good support and I appreciate it all very much.
    • Posted

I would read carefully the FDA patient leaflet for the Cipro and at the first sign of any tendon pain especially in the Achilles tendon stop the Cipro. Ditto for neuropathy ie tingling ,pins and needles . Ditto for palpitations, irregular heartbeat.
    • Posted

DD is a tough disease and you will come out a lot stronger on the other side.  I'm so happy that I don't have the pain any longer.  Of course I have traded the pain for the "quick step" but with that being said, it was well worth it to me.  Besides the "quick step" is not an every day occurance.  My surgery wasn't elective thanks to the fistula and it was a long hard journey over 4 months but it's over for now and I feel like a new person.  Surgery isn't for everyone and you have to know there are times when you just want to give up but healing will come.  Most people don't have the issues that I did so their healing will come a lot quicker and probably without the "quick step" being a part of it after a time.  

I guess I was a lucky person to come out unscathed from the Cipro and I hate that others have had issues with it.  I seem to have tolerated it very well and it worked for me.  Thank God.  Like Justin said, if your bowel is infected, you have to stop it some how.  Mine was so bad that I don't think I could have survived the pain to do it by diet alone.  In any case, I am well  now and I talk on her to encourage other to keep their chin up, there is light at the end of the tunnel.  Whether it is by diet, meds and/or surgery.  

• Posted

Thank you for posting on here!! I started all the antibiotics and such today

I was wandering if you experienced extreme bloating ? I believe it is from gas because I can hear and feel it rumbling. The belly extention is starting to really get big. Any advice on this would really be appreciated. Can I take something like GasX with all the other medications?

• Posted

yes, just prior to my DD attack,belly bloating went extreme.The good news for me is that ive been a month since attack, on my third course of antibiotics, and have lost 10kg in that time.

​soup and eggs .eggs and soup.

• Posted

i tried augmentin duo, but now diagnosed cephalexis? If your bowel is infected , you have to stop it some how .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.