Bunionectomy/Osteotomy 2 Bunions & 1 Foot!

Posted , 6 users are following.

This is Such a Great Forum. I am having surgery on my left foot with 2 bunions (1 being the Tailors Bunion)... Removed which will include osteotomies...

I would like 2 hear from some of you who have had this surgery performed. Is it more "difficult? Double excruciating?...

Were you casted?

Im a bit "antsy" as 2moro I meet with my new podiatrist for my consult. Thank you for sharing your experiences as it will be such an immense help regarding my expectations 😌

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Do you trust your doctor and have you checked him out? Does he have at least 20 years experience?  I had a surgeon with no experience who led me to believe he could do a better job than the older, more experienced foot doctors, because he knew "new techniques."  It turns out, he knew nothing and I am suffering for it and am probably looking at correcive surgery in the near future. Just make sure your doctor explains everything to you, including what to expect during your recovery. My surgeon was horrible and his so-called "medical assistant," has no medical training at all. Bottom line is:  Trust your doctor and his entire staff as well and speak to previous patients of his, if possible. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Thank you Jenny...

Yes! I have extensively researched my podiatrist. He is an older gentleman with many many years of experience and outstanding reviews. His Front Office Staff is AMAZING...

IM SO Sorry about yur nightmare experience...I would NEVER allow a Dr. like that 2 perform surgery. I dont trust younger surgeons...would never contemplate such a thing.

Im encouraging you to be more diligent in researching any future surgeon. (Front Office included)!

I ask ALOT of questions 2 staff members. I am the one who is in charge of my consults...not the Dr. If he cant speak to me on a Basic Level? I leave. Ialso "Go with My Initial Gut Instinct"! I research everything so when Im speaking with a physician? I use medical terminology which has afforded me the highest mutual respect with my established physicians!

Do your research & you WILL find an Excellent Dr.

Best Wishes & Perfect Healing😌

• Posted

Hi Diana, 

i had surgery a week ago, fusion of the 1st metatarsal. This site us supportive but also on Facebook is a forum I survived a bunionectomy. This site is really good. Lots of luck with your surgery

• Posted

Hi Diana 713

Hope all goes well....I'm 5 days post up with scarf akin and arthroplasty. ...no experience of removing 2 B at same time though but iall is going very well....f you look up I survived a bunionectomy on the Facebook group you might find something there.....if you are not put off by all the different experiences!!

• Posted

Oops ...see someone already info u re the Facebook site 😊

• Posted

Hello Doro...

I went to the Facebook site & it states that it is a "Closed Group". I eent ahead and sent a request to join...Thus far no one has shared their Surgical or postop experiences.

Today I had my consult with my new podiatrist!I absolutely love him (I have 3 incredible Doctors in my life...all down2 earth)...

I would love 2 hear your experience.

Surgery date is October 14, 2016. My doctor will be doing an Austin-Akins & Osteotomy on a dorsal bunion And the Tailors Bunion on my left foot...

The anesthesiologist prefers 2 do General Anesthesia (Hate it...but I know it will be fine)...Im requesting an anti-nausea injection prior 2 my awakening...

I am so excited!

Thank you for initially responding...😁

• Posted

I recently joined the group,if you have sent a request you will get an acceptance soon. If not I would send another one.. Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi

Hope you got on the group ok....I joined recently too....it takes a while for the acceptance. ...sounds like you know exactly what' you are doing which is great.

I'm a week post op and so far no regrets.Mine was very severe and still have the left one to do sometime.I had a nerve block with sedation. Didn't know a thing, came round very quick and was only there three hrs all told. The nerve block was good pain control for after as could nt feel my foot/ankle till next day and hav had very little pain since. All the best for 14th Oct 😊x

• Posted

Hi doro, I'm the same as you, I week since op, same story very little pain just resting and elevating. Had a bit of a weepy day on Tuesday, not sure why, but ok now, sitting in the sun and accepting the next few weeks. Foot feels ok although nerves a bit jumpy from time to time. Hope you progress well.😀

• Posted

Thanks Jan......is a long recovery process but grateful to get rid of the big B......is good to know some one at same stage as me.....I live on my own but hav had great help from my sister. That first week is the worst I think, I can do a bit more than I could last week...thank goodness

Stitches out next wed......may we both continue to progress well 😀x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.