How long did it take for you to be diagnosed with endometriosis?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Yesterday I was discovered to have endometriosis at the age of 22. I have spent 5 years going to the doctors with associated problems to hear it's unusual in your age it's mainly people in their 30s above who get it, some people just have a lower pain threshold than others, my period pain was normal- most people get it and that the almost daily vomiting and nausea I've experienced over the last year in particular was anxiety. Anxiety was mentioned so much I even started to believed it.

Actually, it was endometriosis as I've suspected all these years. I have been made to feel like a wimp, that I've been exaggerating absolutely excruciating pain or that it's all in my head. The endometriosis was even worse than I expected as well. I expected a few patches dotted around but actually I had adhesions around my bowel and uterus as well as endometrial cells (old and new) in the space around the organs. I believe the only reason I was even referred in the end was because I complained to the receptionist and the next day I brought my mum with me to the appointment

How long did it take you to get diagnosed? There really needs to be better awareness and understanding of this nasty condition.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, 

It took me about 13 years to get my diagnosis. And it was after I went in with acute abdominal pains and had surgery the day after. The found the endometriosis during the surgery. 

I'd been, before this, sent around to various doctor's who told me I had IBS, it was normal to have severe menstrual cramps or simply said it was nothing...

Now I'm living with chronic pains after having a hysterectomy and oophorectomy as a last try to alleviate the pains...

I have a good pain management doctor so I still consider myself lucky as I get the help I need for the pains. 

• Posted

hi,

My story is somewhat funny but same. i went for general checkup to my physician and i have a lean body so she found something on my right ovary by touching it and asked for imaging, It turned out to be a 7cm cyst and i was asked to see a Obgyn. With in a month cyst turned 9cm and doctor decided to go for a laproscopy.

After the surgery i have learned several facts about my health that i have a lot of scar tissue, my left fillopian tube is completely blocked and i am sufferring with severe endometriosis. I never heard about endometeriosis before and i never met a person suffering with this condition. i was totally unaware of its symptoms. All those years when i had severe pain and heavy bleeding during periods i ignored it as a common problem for girls of my age. This needs to be addressed more and awareness should be created. 

• Posted

It took me about a day to get diagnosed. I never had any symptoms besides irregular periods and cramps, which i figured was normal. One day about 4 years ago when i was 18, i woke up with a horrible pain below my rib cage and by that night it spread throughout my whole abdomen and was so bad i went to the er. They gave me morphine, they thought it was appendicitis so they removed my appendix and found the endo during the surgery. Id never heard of it until the dr came in to tell me "you have endometriosis. . . a lot of people who have it have trouble having kids.. Blah blah blah. "

My dr put me on birth control. Then i got off it and had a baby. The dr put me on a different birth control which gave me horrible migraines. So i stopped taking it and now i have symptoms. Pain, constipation, nausea, etc. So im going back on bc and hopefully that will help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.