Post Diverticulitis IBS

Posted , 6 users are following.

Been reading an article on this and it seems it is very common among those who have pain issues with alternating bowel habits after their diverticulitis attack. It is an interesting read that may explain what some think is a diverticulitis reccurence but may not be actually. It may be IBS caused by diverticulitis. I assume they differentiate the two by looking at blood work for elevated WBC,maybe a ct scan. If nothing looks abnormal it is thought to be the diverticulitis variant of IBS.

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/ucla-researchers-describe-new-248195

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Made Interesting reading ,we need lots more good research into this debilitating disease.Im on holiday at the moment and suffering because of it.
  • Posted

Well that is something to look forward torolleyes

Genuinley thanks for the info and link, forewarned is fore armed

Think one of the big issues with this disease is that nobody really knows what to expect for themselves, healthcare professionals in a lot of cases struggle to help us. The more you can learn, anticipate and prepare for the better you can fight this and keep your head up.

Cheers

Ste

• Posted

Hi Curtis

Thank you for this interesting article I am going to show it to my docctor here in the UK.

• Posted

You are welcome. It appears that the damage caused by inflammation changes how our gut responds to even normal activity and sends pain signals. Normal pressure tests that do not produce issues in normal patients would us. The gut becomes hypersensitive.
    • Posted

Oddly enough this creates an issue for us as patients with this condition. How do you know which is IBS and which is symptoms leading up to a flare? Early symptoms may not cause feverish like symptons. But then bam you are hit with it. Thinking ot was IBS related to divertixular disease. For me I guess playing it safe would be the best route. Get checked regardless of whether it might just be funky nerve impulses causing pain. I have had IBS for a number of years. And I can tell you that there definitely is a very razor thin line that is IBS vs D. IBS FEELS the same except no fever,chills,passing blood,etc...thats about it. And for me D did not present with fever but did very brief chills. Even then I assumed it was a stomach bug as there only mild symptoms until it resurfaced again this time with bleeding and bladder pain. IBS can lull you in to a false sense of security. So dont let it.
  • Posted

It could also be IBS caused by damage to the microbiome. I the duet discussions for this condition some sufferers have posted a out how using probiotic supplements has made a big difference to the number and severity of flares they experience.

• Posted

Curtis there is currently a study being carried out by King's College Hospital London specifically focusing on diverticulitis and  a probiotic, which has already shown to be effective in relieving the symptons of IBS and ulcerative colitis.

• Posted

The U.S. and other nations have done studies on a combo of probiotics along with a drug used to treat UC mesalamine in which the studies didnt pan out as they had hoped. The results were mixed at best and showed no significant result versus taking nothing at all. But the search continues. As for me I had to take a trip to ER for a nasty head cold over the weekend and they did a cbc and metabolic panel on me that showed everything was within normal ranges including wbc counts which can indicate infection. So it would seem at least for now I am not actively showing signs of infection anywhere. Thats a good thing. Lifted my spirits a bit considering the diverticulitis diagnosis. Minus this wonky head cold lol
  • Posted

Just over case diverticulitis had a couple good days now I feel bla with no get up and go sort of sad. I think it's ibs post diverticulitis. I'm usually a very happy person but this really knocks me down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.