Omeprazole relieves shoulder/neck tension

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had tension and aching in my neck/shoulder area for months and doctors put me on painkillers and then physiotherapy as you might expect. However none of these really worked but what DOES work is Omeprazole. I had taken Omeprazole earlier in the year for silent acid reflux (I lost my voice - very croaky) and had a hunch that the neck/shoulder aches were also due to acid reflux so I stopped the painkillers almost altogether and just take Omeprazole and Gaviscon. None of the doctors seem to acknowledge my theory that the acid reflux is making my throat muscles tense up and then this propogates through to neck and shoulders.

I'm posting this to see if anyone has this expereince or if any medical professionals out there can confirm my theory and help me further in any way.

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I think your theory makes a lot of sense. I have reflux and a lot of neck and shoulder tension/pressure especially when its particularly bad. Unfortunately the meds I've tried so far aren't helping my reflux (omeprazole and lansoprazole) but if they helped the reflux I'm convinced they'd help my aches and pains too! X

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear they don't work for you - I find Gaviscon (liquid especially) is also good but I guess you've tried that already.

• Posted

Thanks, yeah I seem to have tried everything at the moment. Gaviscon does help a bit (Gaviscon advance especially) but only very briefly. It seems once the damage is done from the reflux it tales quite a good amount of time without any flare ups for my throat to heal then the tension eases but it soon flares up again. I'm just waiting on an referral from my doctor at the moment to an ENT. I haven't yet had an endoscopy but it sounds like I might have something like LPR because the usual treatments are only giving a little bit of relief. I'm currently trying to do a food diary to see if there's something there I can do to help (bar the obvious things to cut out which I've already tried). Xx

• Posted

Hi Jude, I am having the same exact symptoms of lest side neck/ shoulder pain and acid reflex for almost a year and I started treatment two months ago when my GP gave me Mobic, Physiotherapy and Omeprazole - 6 sessions of physio helped me a lot but lately I've been having severe stomach pain, vomiting and diahrea but no throat pain or voice loss. I'm giving myself another chance

• Posted

i have been having severe neck ,shoulder pain and pressure in the ears. I've been on antibiotics and seen my ENT 3 times. ENT did a hearing test and pressure test and said that he didn't see anything wrong. I'm supposed to have a CT on my ear Wednesday. I've also had this bitter taste in my mouth for a month and i have really bad sleep apnea. i didn't know what this could be because i don't have the normal heart burn symptoms. I took Omeprazole for the last 3 days and everything significantly improved. then the 4th day i didn't take it and i woke up with the pain, pressure and taste once again. I'm convinced this is Gerd. i just never heard of it messing with neck, shoulders and ears until i researched it myself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.