Has anyone taken Cefzil for sinusitis?

Posted , 2 users are following.

After being treated with Augmentin by my family doctor for pharyngitis and sinusitis 3 times in a row, I finally went to an ENT doctor. He did his exam, said it looks like s**t in there, and is infected. He took a culture, but it came back clear. I didn't understand that, but he tried giving a quick explanation, which kinda made sense. My brain is honestly too foggy to think. Anyhow, he prescribed Cefzil, but I have to wait until the pharmacy has it tomorrow. Has anyone taken this medication, and was it helpful?

Thanks Much!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

No, but interested! What were the results ie what is causing the infection? I was similar and they said it was a nasal spur impacting a turbinate and other turbinates were big, all leading to congestion, pain and infection. I was recently prescribed amitriptyline for facial pain - what's Cefzil do?

• Posted

Cefzil is an antibiotic, which will hopefully clear everything up once and for all.

I've had sinus problems for years, and at one point had rhinoplasty for a deviated septum. There was better air flow in the right nostril compared to the left, but in general everything was much better. That surgery was about 20 years ago. I would still get a really bad sinus infection every May or June due to allergies, but that's about it.

This last May I had to have my gallbladder removed, and afterwards one of the cuts wasn't healing correctly. Anyway, I ended up spending a lot of time in my room, from March until now, and my immune system is down. When I got the sinus infection this allergy season, it came late and has decided not to leave, so that's when I went to the ENT doctor. I see him again in 2 weeks, and he'll probably set me up for scans.

The constant post nasal drip or stuffy nose, randomly feeling hot, the dizziness and so on has really wrecked my nerves, and heightened my anxiety.

• Posted

Oh, the results were clear of what's causing the infection. The doctor told me that some tests can come back with a false negative result, and unfortunately it's not uncommon for that to happen. Thankfully he believes what he sees, probably from doing it for so many years.

• Posted

Ive had lots of antibiotics but dont recall that one, maybe it's stronger. How long do you have to take it for? Everytime my upper molar really hurts (the side of the Nasal spur) I get antibiotics from my dentist. But both Dr and dentist say they shouldn't be giving antibiotics out too much due to the new guidelines - but what else can we do?!

I'm on the waiting list for surgery over two years, to correct the nasal spur but like your situation people say it doesn't last.....

• Posted

The antibiotic is 500 mgs twice a day for 10 day. Hopefully it's a heavy hitter and knocks out any infection anywhere within the body. I'm ready for the puffy left cheek to leave, along with all of the other symptoms.

Having the rhinoplasty was a good thing, and definitely saved me from having back to back sinus infections for years. My septum veered way off to one side, so it was nice to finally be able to breathe somewhat normally. I wonder if I'll end up with surgery for the left side, because that's so restricted. Allergies certainly don't help matters, either.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.