Unbearable Pain lower back following fall from horse

Posted , 4 users are following.

Before I start I can confirm I have been to A&E following the fall!

About 3 weeks ago I had a fall from my horse after she reared up, I landed on my backside in a sitting position. Due to my stubborn attitude I got back on the horse and rode feeling sore but managed.

After a couple of days substantial bruising began where I had landed and I started to feel severe pain in my back, to the point the pain was uncontrollable on cocodamol (30/500) and ibuprofen. I had a trip to A&E, clearly in pain but no imaging was done and I was sent home with a box of diazipam and told to rest.

Since then the pain has gotten much worse, I can only describe it as a searing and crushing pain in my lower back with my spine tender to touch. So went back to A&E and was sat in the waiting room in tears due to having to sit for so long (thankfully a lovely aux nurse helped me to a bed once she saw how much pain I was in). I was given an X-ray of lower back and pelvis with no # found. Due to the amount of pain I was in they kept me in overnight on morphine and sent me home the following day with tramadol, pregabalin and more diazepam with a follow up appt at # clinic.

I'm in week 3 of rest and the pain is unbearable now, even taking 50mg tramadol, diazepam, ibuprofen etc it's excruciating. I am feeling the lowest I have ever felt and spend all my time crying and sobbing in pain. I can't sit or walk when it's at its worse, my legs can't support me.

The pain is almost like someone is squeezing my spine/coccyx and digging a knife in, it makes my legs ache terribly. Occasionally I get nerve pain in both legs.

I'm 26 yo female fit and healthy with no health issues, any advice or ideas to question my doctor with would be much appreciated, I don't know how much longer I can go on with this 😖😖😖

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rachel,

I'm sorry you're in so much pain. The "doctors" you're seeing are idiots! Go get a second opinion and demand an MRI. It sounds like you may have either a bulging or slipped disc or you may have destroyed one or more of your discs altogether. An xray will not diagnos this. Given your leg pain, that what it sounds like. I have intimate, personal knowledge of this because I hurt my back when I was 25 due to a car accident. I hope you get better soon!

Mj

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kind words, as we speak I'm being admitted to hospital, purely due to the pain :-( fracture clinic wanted to discharge me based on "bad bruising", from 3 weeks ago! My partner had to hold me up and assist me to the chair with a pillow I've had to take with me, he had to help me up whilst I'm in tears. I'm awaiting a CT scan and given oromorph for what a consultant thinks is "bad bruising"!

• Posted

It sounds like you have a pinched nerve that's causing the pain if the xray did show any chipped, fractured, or broken vertebra...Hot and Cold Compresses plus Hot Showers should ease the pain some, as well as, deep heat rub and muscle relaxers. The doctors need to check for pinched nerves and, if present, do a back-nerve operation to correct it....GOOD LUCK!...

• Posted

Thanks Randy.

For the 3 weeks I've been resting I've had hot baths, gone through bags of peas..you name it I've tried it (having ridden horses for 20yrs I've developed a sound medical knowledge! 😳wink and currently upping my dose of diazepam. Unbelieveably, I've been given hourly doses of Oromorph and the pain is still present. I've had issues with my back previously but this is on a different scale atogether 😫

• Posted

Ask for therapy and strengthening exercises as well as managing pain with relaxing techniques.water exercises heat and cold therapy. Also message is great to relax all the muscles and no pain.

if thing don't settle soon see about a cat scan or MRI for soft tissue damage .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.