Rigid cystoscopy female experience and vesicare advice

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all. I had a rigid cysto under general anaesthetic two days ago and thought I'd share as I suffer with anxiety and was terrified beforehand having read about experiences of the after pain to the point where I was crying I before went in. I almost didn't go through with but I did.

The actual procedure was totally painless- i knew nothing about it whatsoever apart from when I felt a tiny sting in my hand then I was knocked out until I woke up in recovery. So please do not worry for anyone going to have the same you will not feel a thing.

Regarding after pain this I believe varies on what they find/what's carried out during your procedure and of course everyone's different. In my case two biopsys were taken and pending official results IC is suspected.

Yes on the day I had the procedure it did hurt to pass urine and there was some blood due to biopsys. However I must stress it wasn't unbearable pain..it was painful yes but not as bad as I built myself up for and the next day pain was gone. To describe the pain it's like urinating through sharp points but with some teeth gritting you deal with it.

This is from someone that can't take pain very well. If you have any questions regarding the rigid cysto please ask away but please don't be scared out of your mind about having one Like me I was way too on edge before i went in.

I have been given vesicare to take 5mg to regulate the bladder however I haven't take it as yet as I'm a scaredy cat with new medication, is anyone on vesicare and what are your experiences with it?

Thanks

Kez

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Glad to hear yours is all done! Mine is scheduled for the 26th September and I am petrified to say the least! I will let you know how it goes.
    • Posted

Hi Elaine, honestly I was exactly the same as you but honestly it's not that bad. You won't know a thing about the procedure and the pain after is definitely bearable. Good luck for yours you'll be fine. Have u ever taken vesicare before?

• Posted

It helps an over active bladder stops the spasms I think.. Bit worried to take it but will have to at some point!
  • Posted

I had a rigid cystocopy and meatal dilation last November . Was quite worried beforehand , but had no pain and very little discomfort after . My life quality is greatly improved , no worries about toilet problems when out and about , and better sleep at nights due to less trips to the toilet .
    • Posted

I'm really pleased for you. I'm still the same as I was before frequently need To go loo and feel like they've just given me tablets to deal with it. I have to admit still haven't tried the vesicare but scared to. Apparently I had no need for dialation. I have a phone call scheduled to find out my official results but just feel like going to be left in limbo.

• Posted

I'm due to go under general anaesthetic in 4weeks time for a cystoscopy to investigated reacurribg uti. I am totally freaking out I didn't ask my urologist any questions at the time as I was in shock at the thought of a general anaesthetic. I'm guessing it's going to be a ridget scope as I'm been put to sleep. Do you mind me asking what it was like being put to sleep did u need a tube in your throats when asleep and what was it like coming around from the general? Sorry so many questions.

• Posted

Yeah you get a tube down your throat I was really worried about this I remember the woman pulling it out when she woke me up but honesty never felt a thing you will be fine X
    • Posted

I was totally fine when I woke up just felt really sleepy one min thennwide awake the next
  • Posted

I had this 2 days ago and was put to sleep the only thing that was a bit sore was the wee jag inn the back of my hand I never felt a thing when I was under when I woke up I was bit sore my surgon said that he thinks I'm suffering from prolapse. And I will have to go back and see them about getting it fixed. I suffered from this many years ago and he thinks this is why I'm always getting urine infections. On the Saturday the day after I end up with a high temperature and my doctor said I had another urine infection but hopefully I will feel better in a couple of days.

• Posted

I am having my operation on Friday do they let you go home on the same day
    • Posted

They usually let you go home on the same day .Cystocopy is a quick procedure . If you're not having a general anesthetic they insert  numbing gel into the urethea using a syringe with no needle . It is painless you may have some discomfort or stinging after , but mild pain killers will sort that . Important thing is don't worry , it is over in a few mins .

• Posted

Hi I didn't actually go through with mine I cancelled it. But I was told it's all done in the one day you will go home the same day.

• Posted

That is usual for a rigid cystocopy , you should go home the same day . The procedure only takes a few minutes .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.