PRED. REDUCED BUT CRP LEVELS UP AND DOWN STILL

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,   After 3 1/2 years of PMR, I'm now on a Pred. reduction from 2mg. to 1.75mg. I am pleased with this as I have significant spinal osteoporosis and really want to keep the Pred. to the lowest level possible.  However my CRP levels tend to swing about a good bit - eg. during this year I actually had a normal reading (for the first time since the PMR was diagnosed), but more recently the reading was 19. I feel quite well with just the usual aches after each reduction which then stop. 

I use Eileen's really slow tapering regime - presdently reducing by 1/4 mg. at a time.( No joke cutting the 1mg. tablets!).

Some time ago I THINK I remember Eileen talking about some people having different baselines of CRP readings but I've searched and can't find it.

Any comments, suggestions,  scientific findings, or links to Eileen's wisdom???  

Many thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

My CRP is never checked, except at the beginning when being diagnosed.  Only ESR.  Is that bad, or maybe it's good as it's one less number to worry about. smile

• Posted

To be honest, I don't really know. I just thought that CRP measured inflammation and ESR infections etc.  . . . .  J

• Posted

Dr Google says this : The erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR or sed rate) and C-reactive protein (CRP) are among the oldest laboratory tests still in use. Both bloods tests are used to detect inflammation in the body. Inflammation can present as either acute (ie, from injury or infection) or chronic.

But I'm pretty sure they measure in different ways and there seems to be some disagreement about which is better in PMR.  I also seem to remember reading that CRP can also be used in cancer diagnosis but could be completely wrong about that.  My ESR was 16 four months ago, and 19 (which it had been before) last month.  Apparently these are both "normal for my age".  I was in a slightly difficult taper when the more recent reading was done, so that makes sense.  I'll time my next test for when I feel great!

• Posted

Copy that!!   (last sentence).  Thanks for the info.   J
    • Posted

Just checked. My ESR levels were very similiar to yours over the past 2 years - all in the 'teens' up to 20 with one reading of 37. CRP was up and down, (with the first reading before treatment of 97!). None of these readings  tie in with any pain symptoms . . . . J. 

• Posted

My doctor wasn't concerned even when the reading was a bit higher - still "normal for age".  Which I think is a bit of a copout by the medical people as I think what it means is that older people have more things wrong in their bodies, hence more inflammation.  Doesn't reassure me to think that it's okay to be a little bit sick and that's normal!

• Posted

Ah Anhaga!   aren't we a all a' little bit sick' ! .In fact, I often feel more than a 'little bit'   ha ha.  I think your doc came from the same school of thought as mine who says  (quote) "after 50 the wheels start to come off the carriage" . . More seriously though, I never heard of an ESR or CRP reading being "normal for age"  - must be one wheel getting a bit wobbly but the axle is still holding . ..  (sorry, sorry, couldn't help myself!).   T

• Posted

Error.  CRP reading is 9, (not 19).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.