I think I have endometriosis, what to do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I'm new here! Straight to the point...

So I'm 18 years old and I had my first period at 14 without any complications. But for the past 2 years I've been experiencing really painful cramping associated with back pain and irregular periods - sometimes even a month late! Also 90% of the time I get diarrhea. This sometimes happens even  2-4 days before my period. In July my period was late and I was bleeding just a little one day, next two days nothing, then I bled a tiny bit again, then nothing again, then I had diarrhea for 3 days straight with horrible stomach cramps but no bleeding. And then, I finally got my period. About 2 months ago I had urinary tract infection (not sure if this is important). I went to see a gynecologist for the first time a month ago and he told me it's hormones, gave me hormonal birth control which I just stared taking with my current (still super painful and uncomfortable) period. Other symptons I have include pain during urination (especially during menstruation but also at other times), sometimes slight pain or discomfort during sex (I've been sexually active for about 3 months) and painful bowel movements. Should I be worried or am I overthinking this?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You're certainly not overthinking it.

Endometriosis goes undiagnosed sometimes for 10 years or greater because of dismissive physicians.

And it could be something other than Endometriosis.  Pelvic floor dysfunction brings pain and cramps, especially with urination, sex, and bowel movements, too.  Your doctor needs to give it greater consideration, conduct some tests and imaging studies. Unfortunately, the only way to truly know if it is Endometriosis is through surgery.

BUT...push your doctor.  Ask for a second opinion.  Get another referral to another doctor.  Advocate for yourself.

Pain is NOT normal.  I wish someone had told me this YEARS ago.  I suffered for over 20 years before my diagnosis...push, push, push.

<3

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear that.That's exactly what I don't want to go through. I've read and heard a lot of stories from women who simply just experienced bad periods and noone listened and they suffered for years! And everybody kept telling them it's normal, just like they tell me. But I feel like something's not quite right.

I'm going to see my gynecologist today, so I think I will bring this up and push him a little. I don't want him to ignore my symptoms just because I'm young. Thank you so much for your help!

• Posted

I'm sorry for what you're going through, but you're brilliant to already be keeping a log of what's happening.

We of course are not doctors. But I would stick with the birth control regimen you've started for now. If you have endo, it is hormonal so when hormones trigger your cycle, those displaced uteran cells are going to cycle from wrong places in your body. At your age even great endo docs are apt to insist only on medicinal treatments.

Bloomin Uterus is correct: your symptoms could be from other problems so you may have to push the medical system some. Because you're having intestinal affect, you may find that many docs will want to label you as IBS and ignore all else. As far as I know -- others on here would know better -- IBS doesn't respond to birth control pills. So keep your medical log or journal and we'll all be wishin' and John's and prayin' that you've got something less than endo.

We're here whenever, we understand the pain & hassle.

• Posted

That's exactly what I'm afraid of - that everybody will ignore my pain just because I'm young and it's considered normal. I would just love to be completely sure that it's not anything else.

I'm going to see my gynecologist today so I will ask him about the pills and bring this up, try to push him to at least consider it.

However it is possible that it's just different symptoms caused by different things, for example, my irritated digestive system could be triggered by antibiotics which I took because of the urinary track infection - which I got shortly after my first sex. It's just that having all these problems together is so tiring, and of course I'd really love to know what's wrong with my body. Hopefully it's not anything as serious as endo, though it does sound like it could be.

Thank you for your time and your kind answer!

• Posted

Hope you get help from your gyn today. It is best only to state what your symptoms are when it comes to the digestive issues (and didn't you say you had pain during elimination?). If you say "but maybe that's just because of the antibiotics I took" then doc's diagnostic mind may stop right there. That's never a good thing if you might have endo since many of us first present with long-term diarrhea.

FYI in case no one has told you: get in thehabit of emptying your bladder before and after sex. This cuts way down on UTIs. Yes, you can always go back to bed after that post-sex bathroom visit. Train your partner early that this is important to both of you. It also helps if you both wash before sex even tho you use a condom. The most effective method I've found is to come out of the bathroom after that pre-sex per with a warm wet washcloth. I take it to the bedroom and hand it over. Or whatever ;-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.