Rotator cuff tear

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 60 year old male who has sustained a rotator cuff tear in one tendon from a fall.  Can anyone medical or a patient who has had such an injury clarify a few points. 

1.  Is it possible that i had a healthy tendon and the fall tore the tendon?

2.  Can you have a tear or damaged tendon without pain?

3. Could I have made an unknown existing small tear bigger with the fall?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi stephen54528,

1. I am a 67 year old ex-paramedic and I can assure you that a fall can damage an intact tendon. Any action that "shocks" a muscle/bone can it including, for example, punching a punching bag.

2. I doubt you could have a torn tendon without pain. Shoulder tendon damage is quite painful due to the complicated and crowded nature of the joint.

3. miniscule tears of tendons (that repair themselves) probably happen all the time so I guess it is possible to exacerbate an existing unknown fault.

I am awaiting supraspinatus tendon surgery myself and dreading it.

• Posted

So I assume stephen54528 you can't do a belly press riht now?

• Posted

I believe one can have a tendon that can be torn or damaged to some degree, "through wear and tear" (pardon the pun) and due to an incident, accident, fall etc., discover they have injured themselves more extensively. Which is exactly what happened to me. I had shoulder surgery and the supraspinatis tendon needed one anchor to repair the tear. However, an acromioplasty and spurs were also done. Who knew?! I am still getting therapy. I do still have pain with some range of motion and exercise. Am I getting better? Yes. I may never recover my ROM 100%, but am I glad I had this done? Absolutely! Best of luck to you! (Research post op surgery tips online, well worth the prep!) I am 5 months post op. Patience and constant exercising and therapy are key.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.