Mixing herbals and overload

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, ive recently been diagnosed with IBS if my coeliac test comes back negative and GP prescribed me peppermint oil which i,m taking - After reading several articals i have also started taking -

- Slippery elm - started today

- Multi-Dophilus - started a week ago

- Tumeric capsules - started today

- Oregano - scared to take yet because of all others

- Mebeverene - stated Monday

- Imodium - at least x 2 weekly

Do you think this is too much?

Last time i had to take imodium was two days ago - no BM since apart from lots of bloating and trapped gas. Since my flare up i have lost 7 pounds ( 1 week) and scared to eat anything. Last 2 days i have had sweet potatoe and carrot soup with gluten free bread. I am also using the Fodmap diet.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Oh.. forgot - ordered Fennell capsules also - awaiting arrival
  • Posted

Wow. Let us know.

what about a good probiotic? 

• Posted

i beelieve the  Multi-Dophilus are good probiotics containing lactobacillius  &  bifidobacterium

• Posted

Please cosult your doctor about taking herbs with drugs. They have effects on each other. I insist that you consult your dcotor.
    • Posted

Hi,

Ive stopped the mebeverine as i thought the others were doing the same job. Just taking all herbals now and peppermint oil. No side effects yet. 

I did notice a bad headache yesterday but as soon as i ate a small piece of chocolate it went - I dont think i,m eating enough but i still in the elimination process. Starting to slowly introduce foods back in.

• Posted

Anyway, you'd better consult about each an every one of your herbs even if you are not taking chemical drugs.

• Posted

There is way too much information that you and other people DONT have when it comes to your condition, I know it is very frustrating being poorly.

But if for instance once of those herbs did help you, then you wouldn't know which one is responsible and your body may also be showing symptoms when you introduce this stuff. And at the worst, a herb may either be contaminated with other substances and or not contain the dose it says on the bottle which may be very serious indeed especially if there are interactions with the medications you take already.

I would be very careful with oregano oil also I believe but don't quote me (as its early) that there are some cases of liver toxicity associated with it. Talk to your doctor, just because it says "herbal" does definitely not make it safe.

• Posted

I would suggest you see a herbalist - herbs are potent and I wouldn't begin to know about their interactions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.