Two Flare Ups 9 months Apart, J-Pouch Consideration?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello Everyone,

Was diagnosed with UC May of 2015 and was prescribed Apriso as my main med and prednisone for a steroid for I think 8 weeks. Had a flare up in February where at work I felt nauseated and threw up and then once at home had me waking up due to pain every 2-3 hours while sleeping. I admitted myself to ER due to pain...Was prescribed more prednisone for a week and nausea medicine as needed. Having been having another flare up for about 3 weeks now. GI doctor put me on Uceris for 2 months. I'm still seeing blood in bowel movements, stool are still loose and sometimes formed. Last night had abdominal pain that almost had me admit myself to the ER again. I have an appt with GI doctor next Wed. Should I consider J-Pouch surgery? I know that others may have flare ups all the time and more frequently. I just don't want to have to endure pain, blood, etc every 9 months. Doctor said that Uceris will take a week for symptoms to taper off. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chris, where are you in the UK? Are you sure that they have done enough to diagnose UC only? Have you read my posts about J pouch surgery for my son? He had an emergency ileostomy as he perforated in his colon with severe UC, so no choice. He waited a year and had a j pouch and is great now, no pain no meds at all, no disease. Big decision though. Ask me anything you like. Sheila.
  • Posted

Hi Chris,

I feel your pain. I had a couple of years of regular flare ups...spent most of 2014 on steroids ended up in hospital with a dvt as a result. Think carefully about surgery, its a drastic option and I would have thought that having only fairly recently been diagnosed there are more treatment options to try before that. For me, the biologic drugs (humira, vedolizumab) have helped me enormously and I haven't flared properly for about a year. There are also drugs like azathioprine. If I were you I would have a read of the chrons and colitis uk leaflets, they cover just about every treatment out there. You can also email or call them to get more info.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you sheila91262...When I have time I will look at your posts and unfortunately I am not from the UK. I am in the USA, just wanted to know peoples opinions about j-pouch. 

Thank you saraht101983 for your suggestion of humira. I have not been put on Humira, but I guess that would be another option if the steriods mixed with my apriso does not work. It is now about 1 1/2 weeks and I am still seeing blood in my stools and they are loose still so I am going to mentioned this to my GI this week at the appt. 

• Posted

Hi Chris, I would echo the advise saraht gives. surgery is a drastic option, & they only normally go down that line if many meds have been unsuccessful. they normally try aminosalicycilates  (5 asa's) first maybe with steroids added in - there are quite a few 5asa's they can try -& everyone is different. there are also biologics & immunosupressants after no success with 5asa's too, which many have success with in long term remission. the crohns & colitis uk saraht mentioned have their own website you can google - & it has alot of info about all the different meds they can try before surgery becomes necessary. hope this helps a bit. 

• Posted

hi, I dont think you can just opt for a J pouch because you have to have your bowel removed 1st in my mind. I think the state of your bowel has to be in a pretty bad way before they will remove it. You have to go through the meds 1st like humeira or infliximab or similar. I may be wrong but these are my thoughts. I hope you reach remission soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.