Its been over 6 weeks... Pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I've had a toothache for about6 weeks now?

Been to the dentist twice and after extra both times. They didn't see any problem with my tooth that was causing the pain - first molar bottom left. They noticed I had a tooth fracture on my upper left back molar and so filled that in.

After using Sensodyne repair toothpaste and Corsodyl mouth wash... The toothache is still thetem and gets triggered when something cold or hot touches it. Sometimes pain is only for a few seconds. But sometimes its quite excruciating that lasts for 1-3 hours.

Dentists said they don't see any issues with it and said pain may be connected to the upper tooth that's fractured. Which I call BS. Because it should not last 6 weeks. The gums seem fine expect just yesterday they started to hurt around the tooth.

This is cashing a big issue in what foods I eat and when I'm eating. - just gave up on my lunch because the pain kicked in. Was only advised to use tooth repair toothpaste and maintain it. Which I have been tmdoing but no improvenent.

Any help? Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Yajirou,

A fracture in a tooth can lead to an abcess or an infection under the tooth or around it. There are odd ocassions, whereby the tooth at the top of the mouth, especially at the back of the mouth will feel like pain is coming from elsewhere, or vice-versa.

There is a condition but it is more prone to females over 35 or males over 40, whereby you can suffer from a condition called 'Dry Socket', however this only happens after an extraction and the pain is probably 10 times worse than toothache. It is due to the blood clot that doesn't form properly and falls out, exposing your jawbone to air. It takes 2 weeks to heal properly and regular visits to the dentist every 2 days.

In your case have they checked both teeth via x-ray?

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi Les63

Thanks for the reply.

They did xrays for the all my molars on the left. Saw I had a fracture at the top. Filled it up. They also sealed the tooth that I was complaining about. However. I had the fracture for a long time before the pain kicked in. Never felt any pain from the fractured tooth.

I was just gargling warm water with salt and the pain kicked in. Now even when I take a strong bite with nothing in mouth, I feel some pain which wasn't there before. It does feel like under my tooth. But why does even certain foods that just touch the tooth cause pain. Why is it only this tooth being affected with no improvement even after getting filling on the fracture tooth?

They first did a temp fill. And a week later did. A permanent one. Also did xrays again. Yet said they don't see any other issues with my teeth or gums. Very annoying.

.started to take an antibiotics. Hoping it'll solve it.

• Posted

Hi,

It sounds like you have an infection, under the tooth - in pressure is applied to a tooth normally it means there is an abcess underneath, hence why you would feel more pain if pressure or cold air is getting to the infection.

I would carry on with the antibiotics for a few more days if it does improve then go back to the dentist!

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Yes. If I will continue. If it does get better. Will complain to the dentist for now issuing antibiotics before - for failing to underline the problem even though i told them of the symptoms.

Tried booking an appointment but was too late and they closed. Was told to wait till Monday. So will see how I am till then.

Thanks.again. will keep things updated!

• Posted

Well.

The situation has calmed down. But unfortunately.... The problem is still there. Just tried to eat on my left side and it left me in pain that I lost appetite of my dinner, and could barely taste it. (Hardly started eating too!)

So frustrating as its ruining my meals.

So guess Ill call and book for a proper appointment ASAP! And go through with whatever it is that will.make me better.

• Posted

Hi ..ive also had extreme bad toothache and I found solpadaleine max (Only from a pharmacy ) and ibuprofen taken together are amazing ..paracetamol and nurofen do nothing ..also buy oraljel which completely numbs your gum and you can buy from any supermarket ..keep topping up every 4 hours as this will give you max pain relief ..hope this helps x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.