Colonoscopy normal but waiting for biopsy results...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey, I'm new to this but I'm in need of some advice if anyone can help!

Iv always had constipation for years, had a colonoscopy 7 years ago at the age of 17 due to it, was all normal and just said it was IBS.

Fast forward to last year I became anemic, in May this year I started to get lower right stomach pain, pretty much all the time and this is felt in my back on lower right side too sometimes, I still suffer from constipation and anemia but also I am now folic acid deficient and get ulcers on the back of my throat about every 2 weeks. I got checked by a gynaecologist incase the pain was ovarian cysts etc but everything there is totally normal.

due to the fact I also had blood when I had a bowel movement sometimes, along with the pain, iron and folic acid deficiency I got referred to see a gastroenterologist, he said would be best to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy to check if any changes in the bowel and endoscopy so see why not storing iron and folic acid.

I had my colonoscopy and endoscopy yesterday, afterwards the dr came in and said, colonoscopy was fine, would wait for biopsy results from colonoscopy and endoscopy and then have a follow up appointment.

On my letter to my dr it says "constipation IBS, biopsys taken, will arrange appointment to advise further"

I feel so low today like I don't know what it could be, does anyone have any ideas?

1 week wait till my appointment to get my results and I'm going crazy, the pain on my right side won't go away, just want to know what it could be sad

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have had IBS for over 30 years and unfortunately the pain comes with it.  Though the years I have had it in different spots.  Lower abdomon and upper abdomon.  I get the constipation and then will have an episode of bad cramping and nauseau and diarrahea.  I think the dr can give you something for the pain from the IBS.  I never took anything whereas it is not severe.  Talk to your gastronologist.  Mindy
  • Posted

I have no answers for you, but at least wanted you to know that others are reading your posts and sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.

Your mind will likely not relax until the Dr. tells you what he saw and what medications he will put you on. Best of luck to you!! Be sure and let us know what the Dr. said.

• Posted

Thanks for the replys!

Posting here has helped a little, just getting so down with not knowing exactly what it is, just want to feel like me again, prior to all this I was such an active and outgoing person but just feel like I had no energy anymore and feel alone in the situation.

All I have done is Google my symptoms for weeks, I wonder whether I have something like celiac disease? Just feel like there must be something to explain the pain on right side as Iv had IBS for years but not experienced symptoms like this with it before! - will post an update after my appointment next Friday. It's going to be a long week sad

• Posted

The blood is likely to be caused by straining, particularly if it is bright red. Have they looked at dietary issues with you: folic acid deficiency usually means you aren't eating enough citrus fruits, fortified cereal and green leafy vegetables. Do you drink enough liquids too (other than coffee, tea or alcohol.) The lower right sided pain can often be caused by IBS. If I have a flare up of IBS I nearly always get pain in the lower back as well as the front. I would get a screening done to see if you are deficient in any vitamins or minerals and have they checked your kidneys? My feeling is that it probably isn't serious (although annoying) and I would really check you are eating sufficient fibre to make your gut act properly. Try to avoid laxatives if you can as they just make it worse funnily enough. It sounds rather complicated and frightening but I have a strong feeling that the solution is probably quite simple. It's just finding it. If you can get your gut to stop being sluggish I think things would pick up for you.

• Posted

Thanks for your response!

They haven't looked at diet issues with me yet sad I'm quite a healthy eater, specially more so in the last couple of years since having a child I lost two stone, I'm now back to weighing 9st exactly, all I drink is water, I barely ever go out for the evening and drink alcohol, all I have is a latte about once a week from a coffee shop and till my pains started getting bad I would run between 6-10 miles a week

Iv been on iron tablets for about a year and still not improving.

In relation to my pain my kidneys haven't been checked yet either, my GP did say if everything is normal with my bowels they could check kidneys next.

• Posted

Hey I know this is like a year or so late but I just came across your post as I have been suffering with the same issues. Not sure if you ended up going down the gynae route, but I actually ended up getting diagnosed with Endometriosis and this severely affects the bowel, and even if you have it, colonoscopys and biopsy etc. will come back normal as it can only be diagnosed via laparoscopy. It is a gynae condition but if it is on or around the bowel you can suffer with the severe IBS or the same symptoms as coeliac disease/crohn's/colitis. Faye 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.