.25 xanax and alcohol

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I'm taking .25 xanax per day in the morning I just wanted to know could I have a drink or two on this medication I'm taking the meds for anxiety but I still want to drink occasionally. So can you drink or does all the fun stop when you're on these medications

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

YES, DON'T WORRY. I'VE DONE IT MANY TIMES. MAYBE I HAVE A STRONG CONSTITUTION, YOU SHOULD TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR. HE WILL PROBABLY SAY NO.

• Posted

Xanax is a member of the benzodiazepine family (like Valium, Rivotril and countless others). All benzodiazepines are classed as Central Nervous System (CNS) depressants, alchohol is also classed as a CNS depressant. The two can amplify the effects of each other leading to potential death and that's why a doctor will say it's probably not a good idea.

The reality though is not quite as dramatic as that. The above holds true at recreational doses, think more than 2mg with an alcohol chaser. I've used benzodiazepines legitimately for some time, currently I take 1 - 2mg of Clonazepam (Rivotril) as needed. According to equivalency charts, Xanax and Rivotril are the same strength. The difference being that Xanax hits faster and Rivotril lasts longer.

.25mg is a very tiny and very safe dose. I've had 2mg of Rivotril and in the evening had say half a bottle of wine with no problems. Just be sensible with the amount of alchol you consume, which holds true if you havent had the drug anyway. Start sow and see if the alcohol is impacting you any differently and moderate yourself as needed.

• Posted

I would try it and see how you respond—everyone is different. But try it at home, or with safe friends, do NOT plan to drive or do anything important. The two will interact, but it depends on you, your tolerance to both, etc. I wouldn't start with an important dinner party or business meeting though, but at home, safely and see how it goes : )

• Posted

Exactly what Judi has said. I should clarify that if I take any Rivotril, it's normally morning to early afternoon and I carefully monitor the amount of alcohol I drink (if I do drink any) in the evening on the days I've taken it. What Judi says about tolerance is a big factor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.