Is it really Gerd that got me feeling ill?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My lower throat has been burning, lump feeling, cool sensation when inhaling and tightness for 4 weeks. Two ER trips and three regular doctor visits. All claim it to be either Gerd, viral pharyngitis vs globes historic, or esophageal reflex. I'm scheduled to see a gastroligist in four days. This started after I ate some really hot raw peppers which had my stomach on fire for two days I couldn't eat then when I felt better I drank a half bottle of Patron which made me wake up in the middle of the night with fluid in my throat on fire. I was wondering if my throat and esophagus is damaged to the point where it's taking so long to heal.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like reflux to me: starting as gastro-oesophageal reflux (GERD) breaching the lower oesophageal sphincter, travelling full colum of the oesophagus and breaching the upper oesophageal sphincter whence it can aspirate into the respiratory system: extra-oesophageal reflux (commonly referred to as LPR) .

Lump in the throat = globus (sometimes called globus hystericus) from the cricopharyngeal muscle that comprises the upper sphincter, tightening in an attempt to prevent reflux. So 3 of the 4 possibilities suggested to you are actually the same thing.

You'll need to control the reflux. See the section on reflux in the free book / website www DownWithAcid org uk particularly the "Natural Remedies" in the Reflux section.

• Posted

Thanks for the info. It just seems like these symptoms are never ending.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info. I have been on nexium, famotidine, and carifate. The night time reflux has calmed down dramatically. My throat is now just dry in the morning without the burn. But as the day go on my throat always get back irritated then it moves to my upper chest on the left side. The carifate is the only thing that soothes it only for about an hour.
  • Posted

Yes, once you damage your stomach lining etc, it can take that long to heal. You may need to take a ppi to stop any further damage from your stomach acid whist giving your linings a chance to repair. When my stomach lining was eroded it took months to heal and I had acid tastes, chest tightness and reflux until I was better. I had to take a ppi for 6 weeks and eat very plain food and drink only water. My stomach gets easily irritated even now and the irritation can last for weeks unless I take a ppi.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info. I have been on nexium, famotidine, and carifate. The night time reflux has calmed down dramatically. My throat is now just dry in the morning without the burn. But as the day go on my throat always get back irritated then it moves to my upper chest on the left side. The carifate is the only thing that soothes it only for about an hour.
    • Posted

Have you had an endoscopy to see what exactly you might be dealing with? I had horrible symptoms for the best part of 9 months before they bothered to look in my stomach and found a mass of ulcers and gastritis. It was such a relief to know the cause of my Symptoms even though they took a while to settle.
    • Posted

I'm scheduled to see the gastroligist this Tuesday. My primary care Dr.told me that is what he requested be done. Thanks

• Posted

Oh good. At least you will be able to get the appropriate treatment after that. Good luck!
    • Posted

That explains it then! So glad you were able to get some answers. Have you been prescribed a course of treatment?
    • Posted

As soon as the biopsy results return I will be given a course of treatment. So actually I have been dealing with this for awhile until it started to bother my throat and wake me up at night. The chest pressure, regurgitation, having to clear throat after meals was so common for the last few months, I thought it was normal. Now from 6 weeks of stressing out about this,it seems like I have to mentally reset myself back to normal daily living and convince myself that everything will be ok. Hey Jokow22 thanks for checking back.
    • Posted

No worries. Things will get back to normal with the right treatment. I had ulcers and gastritis for at least 9 months before they discovered it. Miraculously within a month of ppi all was healed and stomach was healthy again. I had suffered so long it was ridiculous. I still get problems if I overdo it or get stressed but I now know what to take. Obviously with the hiatus hernia things might be a little trickier for you, but persevere and I'm sure all will be well again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.