Newly Diagnosed CKD Stage 3

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had open heart surgery (full sternotomy) on 8/21/15. I'm 100% pacemaker dependent. A year later I'm now dealing with newly diagnosed "moderate" CKD Stage 3a. My urologist referred me to a nephrologist. My GP is now conferring with the urologist, the nephrologist, my endocrinologist and my cardiologist to figure out a course of treatment. Cardiologist agreed to stop my Coreg and double up the Losartan. Endo decided to stop the metFormin for my T2 Diabetes. I'm anemic and so tired. My kidneys ache pretty much all the time. Two weeks ago I had a Ureteroscopy to blast a kidney stone blocking my left ureter and several (of about 10) stones in the left kidney. My right kidney has shrunk. Neph say's I'm about 50% (eGFR is 53 & creatinine is 1.46, but my UR protein is super high at 314). I'm overwhelmed at this point with this new health challenge. Depression is a normal part of recovering from OHS, but it's gotten much worse in the past 2 months. I guess I need some assurance that, after surviving open heart surgery and 3 pacemaker surgeries (the last one on New Year's Eve), I can adjust and deal with this.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I have CKD stage 5 6% GFR, have been on dialysis for two years and have my live doner transplant next week.  You have summed it up yourself I think, you have been through so much and have been able to get through it.  A serious heart op and other surgeries.  Remember GFR is only an indication and not a deffinate science, your figures are recorded differently that they are hear in the UK also. Mediciation can effect you GFR also, all your medics seem to be talking to each other and this is a good thing it means that you will be put on suitable meds for all conditions where possible.  A lot remain at stage 3 for years so ensure your blood pressure is kept within the limits, avoid salt and low salt, if you are over weight lose weight and avoid junk food.  By doing all these things you can help protect your GFR for longer.  There are no promises but if you do all you can to protect it fingers crossed it wont drop.  Take each day at a time and don't stress about things you dont have control over o with it, it really is more pleseant. Is it easy no but you can do you know you can.  Keep us posted smile

• Posted

Sorry I learn you are having kidney issues on top of your heart issue.  And, in my opinion you are in the right hands when you have both a urologist and nephrologist on board.  As someone who has lived her entire life of almost 73 years with one kidney, I always knew watching my protein intake was important.  In addition, both sodium and potassium are important, too.  Become a label reader!  It becomes a challenge but will also become a way of life.  I would think your cardiologist would recommend limiting your red meat consumption as that would add to your high protein number.  And, I WISH my GFR was 56!!!!  My creatinine is about the same as yours.  Watch your BUN number, too.  Good luck!!
  • Posted

Yes you can adjust to all of this. Like you, lots of us have been hit with a series of health problems. Take this as an opportunity to look at life from a new angle.

At one point I felt as if I was falling apart at the seams. Open heart surgery, kidney failure - dialysis, spine injury, osteo- arthritis leading to hip replacements (which now keep dislocating), fibromyalgia and emphysemia.

Then I began to be AMAZED. What medicine can do for a battered body! How wonderful is that. There are so many people out there who need encouragement to live their lives to the full, to believe in themselves and that they matter in this world. We who have lived long enough to learn coping methods and ways to prioritise need to be there to give them a boost.

At 76 I do not have the physical energy to get stuck in to making the world a better place but I have the life experience to help others play their role. The easiest way is to be involved with groups of people doing things like ... fund raising for the local church or hospital... do yoga or Tai Chi or some sort of group exercise/dance/game. These are places where you meet people you can support/give a lift to. It increases your opportunity to learn to be optimistic/positive.

Good luck. There is a wonderful world out there beyond the limits of our illnesses that we can be part of and enjoy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.