Are thyroid levels meant to fluctuate?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I had some blood test from my doctor because I'm showing signs of an overactive thyroid. My t3 level come back abnormal and he said I need to go for another test to make sure it's right. In just wondering would your T3 levels normally fluctuate daily or what affects the thyroid levels please? I was always under the impression that the only way that the T3 could be abnormal was if the thyroid was abnormal?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

To check a thyroid's function, one needs to do more than a T3 measurement.  Usually most docs if they are only going to do one test initially would check the TSH.  When any test shows abnormality, then more tests are usually required to see why a thyroid is not functioning normally.  While test results may vary, they usually vary within a range that is normal, i.e. between the lowest normal value and the highest normal value.  If they are out of that range, the value is considered abnormal.  Reasons thyroid glands do not function normally are often due to autoimmune diseases like Graves disease or Hashimoto's (some people have both of these at the same time).  Autoimmune antibodies produced by the immune system are attacking either the TSH receptors in the pituitary gland or in the case of Hashimoto's attacking the thyroid gland directly causing the gland to produce too much thyroid hormone.  Other causes besides autoimmune diseases are viral illnesses that cause thyroiditis during their course but will subside, after pregnancy when the Endocrine system is undergoing great hormonal changes or when the thyroid gland has a lot of thyroid nodules.  Most nodules are benign but some can be malignant and there are tests to rule this out. 

• Posted

Hi james22918, research has shown that thyroid levels do indeed normally fluctuate. In individuals with normal thyroid function the thyroid output is stimulated for example by aerobic exercise. One of the responses of the body to physical exertion is to ramp up the metabolism. Like linda187 mentioned this usually occurs within some limits considered the 'normal' range.

However, if you show signs of hyperthyroidism it has to be investigated further. Normally, around 80% of the thyroid hormone output is T4 and only 20%  is T3. If your free T4 value is normal then your thyroid might have started to produce too much T3. T4 is the precursor of T3 and T4 is converted to T3 outside the thyroid.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.