% numbers on dexa scan

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have searched and read on line but still don't understand what these numbers mean. On my T scroe for L2 I am <3.5 and 65%  If any of you understand these numbers would love some info.

Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Yvonne, I assume that the figures are <-3.5 and 65%. The <-3.5 means that you are more negative than -3.5 on the statistical standard deviation shape used for osteoporosis. The 65% is usually associated with a timescale and would usually be the likelihood of you suffering a fracture within the given time period (possibly either 5 or 10 years).

• Posted

Thank you Pauline for that info. The % numbers really had me stumped and couldn't find an answer.

• Posted

The 65% likelihood of a fracture occurring needs to be based on other factors as well. There is a difference between bone strength and bone density. Your bones may be quite strong. I have low bone density (-4.3 lower spine) yet I have not broken any bones despite having falls and slips.

Whether you smoke or not or do weight bearing exercise factors into the probability of breaking bones.

Maybe we look at keeping the bone we have as strong as possible.

• Posted

High bone density whilst important, does not necessarily mean that the bone is strong or tough. Some older bones will probably have a high density but may be crystalline in nature and will have very little strength and will easily suffer from crack propagation. I think that this is what is implied when patients using the bisphosphonates talk about the bones becoming brittle and increasing the likelihood of a fracture. I believe that crystaline bones are fragile and will fracture or shatter easily when placed under even minor transverse stress.
    • Posted

When I had an MRI on my knee the surgeon commented on how tiny my bones were. I think this would also factor into the bone density results.

I had a small meniscus tear but no broken bone.

I have had two shoulder reconstructions involving only the tendons. One was the result of a bad fall down a very long staircase and four tendons being ripped off the bone. This is called rotator cuff surgery.

I think we need to consider more than bone density results for sure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.