My mother is bipolar and is showing strange symptoms

Posted , 7 users are following.

For the past month and a half or so my mother (who is bipolar) has been showing strange symptons and acting extremely different. She sometimes laughs hysterically to herself and often shouts to herself or out of the window to people she believes are "provoking her", i have not seen or heard any of these people. I confronted her about doing this today and she said she thought i couldn't hear her, because i "had headphones on" (which i didnt). She always ask's me about the occupation of my friends fathers (never the mother) which is likely linked to the fact that my father who recently passed away was unemployed, and also an alcoholic, it's with this that she shows a clear grudge against all men, saying she "hates most". She's never been suicidal but has been hospitalized due to a severe break down but this was most recently over 10 years ago.

I often tell her there's no-one there, and that she's talking to herself and that she needs to get help, this is often done with an angry tone (this is not to be malicious, I suffer from some anger issues). I have no idea how to calm her down or how to stop her from shouting out of the window at no-one.

In addition, she always says how she hates the area we live in, this is often what she shouts about.

There was also once a time where we got onto a bus and she just stopped walking and stared at a mother and her son on the bus, giving them a dirty look.

I spend alot of time away from home (regularly staying at friends houses over the weekend, and school/revision on weekdays) and she expresses her concern whenever i'm at someones house, even if i've been to said persons house countless times. This is ALWAYS because of the father. When I was going to see a friend, she didn't allow me to go due to the ethnicity of my friends father, and she thought it was "suspicious" that his mother had died during childbirth. which brings me on to my final point that she is always suspicious and always think's that people are out to get her. At one point there were some teenagers outside our house and she believed they deliberately chose to be there and were almost targetting her.

I'm only 16 and have no idea what to do, how can I help my mother? I've tried to tell her to call someone or get help but she refuses it and insists she's fine.

Thank you for any input/help you may be able to offer.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

oh my goodness. i am so sorry to hear this. are you an only child?  do you have a grandmother or does your mother have a sister or brother you could talk to that cares about her well being?  do you have a good school counselor at your school that you could talk to yourself?  your mother needs medication very much. you may have to have some help getting her to take help.  you are going to need some support.  what country are you in?  let me think about this and hopefully others will add to this. hopefully you will have a trusted family member that you look up to that you can start with. When she was diagnosed Bipolar did she have medication?  Would she see that same doctor again??   You are very strong and resourseful to find this board and reach out for help.......Think of someone that your mother may look up to, maybe not a best friend or anything, but someone that you could talk to that she would listen to......   best of luck to you....   keep us posted.
    • Posted

Yes I'm an only child and both my grandparents are dead -- my mum sometimes talks to her sister but this usually just ends in an argument over the phone and my mum ending up in a state. And I live in the UK.

Thanks for your input.

• Posted

Hello Conrad, Do you have any other family close to you or that you can speak to? It sounds like you and your Mum are going through a real bad patch at the moment, you really should not be trying to deal with this on your own, it's not fair on either of you. Your Mother seems to be in seriouse need of propper medical supervision. There are one of two ways that this is going to happen, either she goes on her own accord or is deemed to unwell/unsafe for herself or others. She is at a stage that is not going to be helped by a simple visit to the Doctors and a script of pills. I must stress how much you need help from either Family or if thats not viable, do you go to School? You must ask them for help as you are still a Minor in the eyes of the Law. I can only imagine what you must be feeling right now but with help, things will get easier. Who have you tried/asked for help so far? Al 

• Posted

Yes, Pistal, thank you for going ahead and spitting out what i was getting at!!!!!
    • Posted

I haven't really spoken to anyone as it's only started happening quite recently. But yes I attend scool.

Thank you for your input/advice.

• Posted

Your Mum is suffering with Psychosis, it can be controled with Meds, but is a very scary thing to have or witness. If you find that things are getting out of hand (it sounds to me it already has but you never can tell from a post), do not hesitate to call an Ambulance, they will help you and make the situation safe, you or your Mum will not be in trouble.
    • Posted

Is it normal for a bipolar person to experience this?
    • Posted

Sadly there is nothing usually normal about being BiPolar, But speaking from my own experience then yes. It dosen't mean that she is crazy or anything like that. You mention that she has been unstable in the past (although it was a while ago), has she been taking any Medication for Mental health or depression that you know of? The mind has a way of tricking its self when it is overactive or there is a chemical imbalance, the most notable symptom is Paranoia. This may just be an episode in the making for a while, but it is often hard to find a predictable pattern with BiPolar, espescially when your not on the right meds. 

• Posted

She has meds and tells me she takes them although I don't watch to make sure she does, I'll make a note to count her medicine over a few days to make sure she actually is. Thank you.

• Posted

Ok, but even so, she may have to be re-evaluated. Only do what you feel comfortable doing. You have every right to ask for help either the emergency number (999) or if you are ok untill Monday, call 0300 123 3393, it's a Group called MIND and they will be good to talk to regardless. There will always be someone on here for you to chat to also. Best of luck, Al

• Posted

You say your mother is bipolar but you don't know say how you know: was she diagnosed by a doctor, and if so, when? In addition, she attributes the hallucinatory voices in her head to external people who aren't there, which shows lack of insight into her own condition. Lastly, many of the symptoms you describe are those of paranoia, and this is more often associated with schizophrenia, though can be a sign of bipolar disorder. To conclude: your mother needs to be encouraged to see a GP, in order to get a referral to a psychiatrist, so that she can get an up-to-date diagnosis and be offered the latest treatments (medication is more effective for psychotic disorders than other interventions, which isn't the case for all mental health conditions). Since you are only 16, the best move would be to get a supportive relative (if you have one) to assist with getting your mother to see her GP (i.e. go with her and explain things to the doctor).  Don't delay: the sooner she gets help the better it will be for her and for you. Living with someone who has these sorts of untreated problems can really mess your head up (anger is the only start), and, believe me, you don't want that. And remember that many of these conditions are based on faulty brain genes, which means they can be inherited - so learn to monitor yourself for early signs of the same problems, so that if they start to show up in you, you can get treatment before things get out of hand. You can manage bipolar disorder to stop it getting worse but it rarely goes away. Good luck.

• Posted

She was diagnosed long before I was born so I'm not sure when but I'll try to get the assistance of her sister.

Thank you for your help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.