prediabetic?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had two blood tests in the last 6 months and both indicate that my HbA1c levels are 6.3% which indicates prediabetes. My GP doesn't seem over concerned (as in "we'll keep an eye on it"wink. But should I be worried? I am 70 years old, underweight, very good diet.

3 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

NO!

I am a diabetic taking 200 units of insulin a day.

Prediabetic to me is like a little bit pregnant. Just crap. Either you are or you are not.

If your 6.3 does not change in the upward direction your not a diabetic. The old number was 5.0 my Endro this last time told me  that 6.0 was the new normal. 

Everyone is DIFFERENT, what works for me may not work for you and the reverse.  I would save some money and move the testing to evey 6 months, stay on what your eating and leave the worrying for the folks in the middle east.

You could get a test kit and test daily mornings when you wake up. That will give you early warning of the blood sugar going up. Testing is NOT CHEAP, the meters are given away and the strips can cost any where from Walmart at .034 each to over a buck a strip. I used the Walmart products less expensive that insurance.

Remember this is a personal disease what is normal for you may be out of the guidelines of  "NORMAL".  

I do things that are in direct opposition of the "NORMALS" and it works well for me. My GP has been brain washed by big Pharm and my Endro is open for a bit of expermination. As long as I can keep the AIC going down no one is going to argue with me on the method I use. So far so good for me.

My views are my own and are only suggestions. I agree with your GP

• Posted

I'm confused - which for me is not unusual - but you say that your " HbA1c levels are 6.3%"

I too have had two HbAic tests within six months (February & August} and my results were 43 and 44 respectively.

I'm a 75 year old male and was diagnosed with Type 2 daibetes last year and I don't understand half of what is said on this forum as I have no idea how to measure my blood sugar levels sad

• Posted

Oh, I'm with you there Clive! – it's all very confusing. The results seem to come in two forms: mine are 6.3% or 45 mmo which seems to correlate with yours.

I'm also inclined to agree with Drangd. I will ask my GP to be clearer next time I see her but in the meantime I will try and stop worrying about it till told to. My diet is fine, very little sugar by most people's standards! – so I'm not changing that, especially as I'm actually trying to put on weight, not lose it. I'll just assume that 6.3% is "my normal" and hope for the best. Thanks!

• Posted

According to a rather tatty 96th photocopy of a leaflet about the HbA1c test it says "The higher the number, the higher the risk (This is not the same as your blood glucose finger prick)"

Then it shows a scale from 48 to 80 and carries on "Best Levels: Between 48-58 is associated with your lowest risks of com[plications for the future."

I'm still none the wiser.confused but as you say I'm in the "unshaded" area...

• Posted

Hi Sue,

If I am wrong I apologise but when I was diagnosed prediabetic I was told normal HbA1c reading is 5.7. So if you are slightly over they will keep an eye on you for a while and see if the reading goes down next time or if up or stays same they may start you on meds. Don't worry as at least they are keeping an eye on you. Carry on eating healthily. The reading gives an average reading over 3 months, which is why they don't panic, nor should you. They are not that higher readings.

• Posted

My partner has been classed as prediabetic, in his case he has the chance to change his diet and fitness routine first before the need of any medication. I would suggest that you increase the amount of fat in your diet to gain weight, which in turn may help keep your sugars low. If you are not vegetarian try eating more meat as the protein is feeling without the carbs. As others have said you may naturally have a higher glucose reading than average. I really wouldn't worry. My 3 monthly results are good, even if on a daily basis they seem high. It is more a pattern that they look for rather than individual readings, which can be misleading.

I have been diagnosed for nearly 3 years, but I have come to realise that my sugars are naturally high in the morning but are good for the rest of the day.

• Posted

My doctor told me you are either a diabetic or your not.i think you should a eye on what you eat,and trying cutting out sugar has much has you can.Myself i normal get hypo`s that are below 5 so my diabetic nurse  told me i must have some sugar in my diet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.