Venesection

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

I'm due for my next v/section 15.9.16 ,does anyone know if I will still

Be able to have it because for several days I have had chronic pain

From sciatica in my back,hip and down my leg,I've taken CO codomol

And anti inflammatories, which gave me chronic indigestion.

Simple thing like putting my trouser's on takes 10 minutes the pain is

That bad.my last v/section level didn't drop by anything, I assume with

This my levels will not drop again this time.

Enough about me how is everyone's treatment going?????

Cheers philx

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Phil. I would Def go for the next v section, unless you don't feel you're up to it. If your ferritin levels are up at the mo cos of the inflammation, you are still removing iron with the v section and further iron will be used to make new blood, and post inflammation your levels will drop anyway. So, Def go, unless physically you're not up to it.

I'm in maintenance phase now as you know. I'm booked in for blood donating every six weeks at the mo. My level is hovering in the low twenties. In the new year, I'll probably start going every 8-10 weeks and monitor my levels..then might go for every three months. Initially in maintenance phase I think it takes a good year to see what your body is doing and how quickly the levels go up. I'm taking free tea supplements, turmeric, IP6 and calcium every day, doing my bit to chelate the iron and prevent absorption. Hardly any red meat. Loads of fish, chicken quite often, and I enjoy my beer and wine at the weekend. So, all quite a normal lifestyle really. I have the painful hand joints and limited movement in the right hand, but can't do much about that, though the turmeric is good for all that. I'm lucky it's just that, cos as we know, there could be far more serious symptoms with this Celtic Curse. Anyway, hope you feel better soon Phil. Cheers. Mike.

• Posted

hi mike glad all is going well for you,you must be elated to have normal levels,even though you still have to keep on top of it for the rest of your life.

i took onboard what you told me in my first reply from you,take it one v/section at a time whether it comes down ,goes up,or stays where it is?????

we cannot change things its  our bodies that are in charge.

i drink black tea or milk with meals,use turmeric when preparing meals (even though i find it very bland)i never eat red meats or seafood.i eat a lot of quorn products,turkey mince .cut out fresh orange jucie,i am on statins for cholestorol and was told to cut out dairy foods,but ironically it seems these are the foods i now need to eat??(they will tell me soon my cholestorol is high ha ha)

i will keep my appointment thursday come what may,and if it fails to drop this week i may ask to go back to weekly???

id you ever have any problems with fluctuating hemoglobin levels mine has been as high as 162 and low as 120.i am watching this and if i goes below 120 i will ask for consultation????

cheers philx                                                  .

• Posted

Hi Phil. I'd check with the Quorn products...there's a chance they may have added iron. Not sure where I heard that. I use Quorn, as great alternative to red meat..good as its virtually fat free, but a pain if there's added iron. I keep meaning to phone them to ask. As these things with added iron, it ends up being the same amount of iron as red meat! I have red meat about two or three times a month. As the Haemochromatosis Society advise, no reason why you can't eat some read meat from time to time, as diet can't really control it. One venesection get rid of about 250mg of iron. A big red steak is equal to about 2mg....so it's worth a little treat. If you have milk with the steak, even better. Needs to be calcium for meat, as tannins in tea works better on non heme iron. Anyway, keep me posted on your progress. Take care. Mike.

• Posted

hi mike

we cannot win there is iron added to most things tapwater for one,i have always eaten hovis wholemeal it doesnt say contains iron but when i phoned them they said they do use iron in the processing of it i told them what we have,and told them if there is any iron in it it should be listed,they had no answer for me???/i think the hemochromotosis society should get onto the government for packaging to show iron content in foods for us sufferers???

i did list everthing i eat and have shown it to the hemotology consultant he said there was nothing i needed to change .

cheers keep you updated phil

• Posted

You could try low fat (and low sugar) dairy, or just rely on your calcium tablets - small one with each meal.

If Quorn products are made from grains, check the level of iron in those grains - their non-heme iron is much higher than the much aligned spinach.

• Posted

A quick read - I discovered Quorn is made from a fungi - interesting.
    • Posted

Hi Sheryl

I did check iron in quorn yes there is a small amount of iron in quorn

But far less than a lot of other products??.

It appears a lot of food has iron included in the process system.

But doesn't always appear on the ingredients, I am a fussy eater and

If I stopped everything where would I be,.

I only have low fat products etc

Cheers philx

• Posted

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the iron content - impossible to avoid and we still need it apparantly!!!  UNLESS, it is added iron.  But if the fungi comes from the ground, it is going to have iron in it.

Sugar and starches are the big problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.