Head injury possible cause of HFS but to my way of thinking probably not

Posted , 2 users are following.

As  a youngster I was hit in the head with a baseball bat(no protective helmet on) .This was street ball not an organized game where the protective equipment is mandated.About 40 years later ,a pulsating artery in my brain, for whatever reason decided to move too close to my 7th cranial nerve and this resulted in at first an eye twitch,then a full blown hemi facial spasm which eventually was resolved by 2 micro vascular decompressions ,1 in Philadelphia which did not  produce the desired result and the second one 3 1/2 months later at UPMC in Pittsburgh,Pa. which fortunately did work.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I asked my Dr that question and he said I probably would have had symptoms earlier. Did all your spasms go away immediately? I had my surgery at UPMC on July 26, 2016. My eye still spasms with activity such as this and I also got a complication called occipital neuralgia which I can find NO ONE who got this after MVD for HMS surgery. I'm going to see Dr Sekula about it in the morning (9-19-2016)

• Posted

My 2nd MVP at UPMC went extremely well but with 3 exceptions: the hemi facial spasm was completely gone ,but for about 2 to 3 hours, a very slight eye twitch was refusing to send up the white flag,but when I woke up the next morning that twitch had gone down its final glide path and I rejoiced-"Alleluia".My 2nd issue was a paralyzed right vocal chord which the good doctors assured me would eventually come back(but as I soon discovered ,not as good as new).My voice has not fully recovered after 14 years,but I can't complain because of all the good the decompression did for me.My 3rd issue was being given the wrong medication post op while still recovering.To make a long story short,I had a heart rate of 100 + for over a month 24/7 non stop because of what their pharmacy gave me instead of the Corgard that I was supposed to take.It didn't matter if I were standing,sitting,lying down, walking ,trying to sleep,morning,noon,night-it mattered not.My personal physician solved the problem by quadrupling the Corgard for which I was extremely thankful.With respect to your occipital neuralgia,I am not familiar with it ,but I will research it for you.Dr. Sekula will probably be able to point you in the right direction.

• Posted

Thank you Robert! I just hopes he isn't in a rush as usual. I see him in the morning

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.