Need advice

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis via ct scan yesterday in the ER. I was put on a clear liquid diet and cipro/flagyl. My first three doses were fine but now I'm super nauseous and don't want to take them! Also is it normal for my very low abdomen to feel bloated/crampy when I walk or even move?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, yes the flagyl is so so so horrible. It made me so incredibly sick but whatever you do don't stop taking it. It is normal to be sore and still hurt days after the diagnosis. Hope I helped a little.

• Posted

Hi, yes totally normal to feel a bit sick but usually this passes - don't stop taking them, try and think of the tablets as your friend which will hopefully help! You will be sore for a while, keep to liquid and when you start to feel better start with low residue diet for a while - white bread, white pasta etc (no fibre) Mayo Clinic website has details - as it is easier for your colon to cope with. Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Cipro/ Flagyl combo can cause some very nasty side effects. The Flagyl gives horrible nausea but this stops when you stop taking it and can be less if you take it with food. On a liquid diet it will be worse. The Cipro can have nasty side effects which can come on days,weeks or even months after stopping it and can be permanent. If you have any sign of tendonitis especially in the Achilles tendon or neuropathy such as burning, tingling, pins and needles stop this as these are signs you are reacting badly.
  • Posted

yes those anti b's are very harsh on stomach, you may even experience disconfort after taking them, but they are the only ones that work in such s bactieria ridden area,eat light,lots of fulids NO Alcohol, and if symtoms not gone in a week or so go back to do

• Posted

Hi there. During beginning of October was admitted to hospital after suffering from 20 days going to toilet and back to bed suffering with really bad 9/10 pain. Eventually was sent to assessment clinic. I have various illnesses, including diabetes 2. After pharmacist could not cope with my 63 yes 63 allergies to antibiotics I was given ct scan. I had to stay overnight with no added pain killers or antibiotics. I just had to end up helping myself after getting diagnosis. Full on fibre diet for diabetes now all white food no fruit no veggies. It's sheer hell for me with the continuing pain. Just want to roll up in a ball and dissappear. Feel like I've done 2000 abdominal crunches. Doctor put me in touch with this web site for help about diet. Thankfully have been given a dietician appointment for the end of November. Thankfully I have a wonderful understanding husband. So if I were you try talking truthfully abd basically to partner or friend. It does help to be open about this subject. If all else fails get a long wheat pillow, warm in the microwave, place on stomach and go to bed and curl up.

Heinz chicken noodle soup helps. Hope you feel better soon and also myself.

• Posted

Until you rest your bowel with a liquid diet this will continue. Then you need to eat a low fibre diet for a while. Wholewheat bread actually spikes blood sugar nearly as much as white bread . It just does it a bit later. In fact bread is one of the worst culprits for spiking blood sugar. To much wholegrain products are no good for diverticulitis . They cause too bulky stools which distend the colon due to the insoluble fibre. The soluble fibre of fruit and veg is better.Have you been on a liquid diet . This is difficult and due to weakness usually involves staying in bed and resting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.