PLEASE HELP I have severe pain in right buttocks and back

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have degenrative disc disease, bulging disc, spine bone spurs, fibromyalgia, plus. Im asking for help from anyone that may have experienced pain in buttocks and back. Pain from both at same time. A couple weeks ago my butt started burning and gradually it got very painful. My spine has a couple hot spots with severe pain also. The pain gets so uncomfortable that I can't sit and can barley walk. I read about a muscle in your butt being damaged, that sounded similar to the pain area. So many things were listed that it could be, it has left me confused and depressed. Can anyone help please?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Chronic back pain is something pain management can help you with. 

I have many back issues as well. Siatica is from a buldging disc and Spurs on discs.

physio therapy has helped a lot by strengthening and toning muscles that support the back. 

Swim therapy and learning how to lift move and get up and down do things differently with my back condition has helped eliminate a lot of severe pain. 

Start with itch a back therapist from a pain management Doctor. We can get better I am proof. After hip replacement and knee issues along with back I can honestly say that Physio therapy taught me how to move and protect my back.

Peace & Heeling

• Posted

Hi Barbara - similar story here.. Suffer from Fibromyalgia and have a herniated disc at the L-5/S-1. Have visited a few doctors and have dealt with this sciatic pain for many years. Sometimes it's worse than others. When it rears it's ugly head, I have numbness in one or both feet and toes along with burning sensation in the butt and legs. I have not tried pain management but have had many PT appointments which help for a short time. I also have not tried epidurals and I do not take much pain medication other than alleve. 

During my last visit to my neuro doctor he wants to do the following procedure:

Foraminotomy =Foraminotomy is surgery that widens the opening in your back where nerve roots leave your spinal canal. You may have a narrowing of the nerve opening (foraminal stenosis).

He made it sound like a routine procedure, minimally invasive with a one inch cut and a couple of weeks to recover. He feels that will solve all my problems and it's a pretty common procedure.

Have you heard of this? Has anyone familiar with this? As much as I would like to try surgery after all these years of suffering, I have heard too many horror stories on back surgeries going askew. I guess I have to pick my poison.

Anyone have anything to add, it would be greatly appreciated. Your issue, Barbara, sounds so similar to what I've endured for many years.

• Posted

Hi Barbara. I have DDD, bulging discs & arthritis. I have had the same burning (which is usually nerve pain) sensation from my hip to my upper thigh which I'm told is sciatica. I take 600mg of Gabapentin at bedtime for it & on 15mg of oxycontin for my back pain. Surgery is not an option for me. I see a pain mgmt dr and I also see an orthopedic dr for epidurals and yearly radio frequency ablasions (I'm due for one now, even after having a hysterectomy in July). I have honestly never heard about the butt muscle problem. I understand your frustration though. Thank God for the internet to educate ourselves, but there's so much info that it's very confusing! My pain does get me depressed since it can't be "fixed" just maintained. Pain, stress & depression are all contained in a vicious cycle. Do you see a dr or take anything for your pain? I'm sorry that you have so much to deal with. Living with pain is very hard. Most of us don't have spouses, friends or family members who understand what we're going through. I know my husband is tired of hearing about my pain. I hate to say misery loves company, but it's nice to know that there are people on here who understand, ask questions & offer their opinions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.