Barrats and hitius hernia .. Red meat and b12

Posted , 4 users are following.

Been diagnosed with Barrett's just under a year ago, and have been doing fine most of the time .. Although I'm still having bouts of reflux and sickness at times. My blood tests have been showing a lack of b12 this left me absolutely exhausted , terrible mood swings and just so lethargic it was horrible! ..

B12 tablets seem to be helping a bit but then where stopped by my doctor

All the advice points to more red meat etc.. But it is one of the things I just can't manage at all , have tried various attempts at even small amounts and it leaves me feeling awful ,sick and totally wiped out!

Has any one else had this problem and how did you overcome it? Being only 31 I need to get the diet etc right now as have a lot of years ahead weighing up what to eat and so on ! So scunnered! And fed up with it! sad

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I also have a B12 issue.  My doctor explained to me that having Barretts (some years comes back not Barretts) makes it difficult for the B12 to be absorbed due to stomach acid.  My doctor has put me on monthly injections for about two years now and I feel much better.  I can symathize with you the mood swings and being tired all the time.  If your doctor is not willing to give you B12 may want to find one that will.  I now inject at home one a month.  Foods that contain B12 is not only the red meats.  They are also foods such as salmon, yogurt, sardines.  You can buy B12 tablets at a health store but injections are much better.  Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply Karen , I am making sure I am eating lots of greens etc . My consultant said there should be no physical problem absorbing as my colon etc is healthy but that it can be a side effect of the high dose of PPIs, I was given a months supply for gp , my levels went up and he stopped the tablets .. I have arranged another blood test as this was over a month ago and I m feeling the same tiredness etc again! So frustrating ! Glad you have found what helps smile

• Posted

I am 49 with 2 young kids.  I have been on PPIs since the age of 34 I was on Protonix.  I managed to ween myself off them this year.  I am now on ranitidine 300 mg morning and 300 at night  be careful of the PPIs so yes you are right between the PPI's and B12 I do agree with you on that.  Good luck, by the way I hardly ever eat red meat I also hate it but I et a lot of fish with broccoli and sweet potatos.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.