Bisoprolol 2.5mg - concerns

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

My doctor has just prescribed me this due to me being very anxious after having an SVT attack and frequently having skipped beats. I am very concerned about this medication as I have never taken anything like this before and after reading everyone's comments it does not sound appealing at all.

I'm thinking maybe there is something else out there to help calm anxiety which would lead to less skipped beats rather than taking this beta blocker! Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hannah,

I started taking this medication in Feb. when I started having SVT. I was on it until I decided to have an ablation for the  SVT. But my ablation  was unsuccessful. The specialalist thinks it was because I was also on a medication for anxiety. (clonazepam)

So I never went back on the bisoprolol (same dosage).

The only thing I can tell you is that it made me very tired, and I had cold feet. My heart rate was lowered. 

It's kinda funny that I never had flutter/skips/thuds until I went on the biso. My specialalist said it had nothing to do with the biso..Maybe it was the anxiety. When I stopped the biso and started the Clonazepam I hardly get those crazy heart things, and my heart rate is also lower. SVT sucks, and I am not sure whether I will have a second attempt at the ablation. Just wanted it to be over, so I did not have to worry about SVT

Have you been off an ablation. If so, go for it.

• Posted

I was prescribed Bisoprolol for my AF after a heart valve repair during which they tried the maze procedure to stop my AF (which didn't work) I wasn't keen on taking it but my heart rate was very high so after 3 months I agreed to take it and it's been fine! No side effects and my heart rate now normal, I'm on a low dose and take it just before bed which works for me! It's like most medication, some people have bad side effects but others have no problems. Have another chat with your gp and tell him your concerns. Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Hello Hannah,  You can see from both the above replies that no two people are alike in their reaction to any newly introduced drug.  Many here have adverse reactions from mild to extreme, but also many (including my husband) have no side effects whatsoever.  It is a very widely used medication.  Bisoprolol will not harm you in any way, so it would make sense to give it a try and see how you feel before dismissing it out of hand.  For those who are fortunate enough to have no bad reaction, this drug does its job well in slowing down the heart rate.  
  • Posted

yes this is.

I have atrial Fibrillation and take amino acids. These calm anxiety and have improved my skipped beats etc a lot. L Argenine, Taurine, L Carnitine

D Ribose, I also take Magnesium. these are all food the heart needs to work properly.

This is the research .http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16797868

I was taking beta blockers but the side effects were horrendous so i was taken off them

I also take D Ribose which is recommended by an American cardiologist . I am not sure if i can put his link up here , Its a food supplement. All the guys at the gym use them because they feed the heart whilst training. I read a lot of reviews from the places you order from and the people reviews help. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.