Exercise with OA

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I'm 37 and have developed OA in both knees. Not severe, but enough to make it uncomfortable to go up and down stairs.

I love being active, and whilst I don't go to the gym everyday, i love doing a class or two a week. Feel like I cant/shouldn't do high impact stuff. But I am.desperate to do the running and jumping about that everyone my age does without any discomfort. What can i do that gives me the same hugh as a high impact class?

I am also really concerned about the future and whether by 60 I'll be chronic pain if I push my luck now.

I'd love some advice and to know I'm not the only one in this situation at my age.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there..I have the same problem and struggle with stairs etc but in January I decided to join a gym/pool...My dr advised to swim and cycle to build up the muscles around the knees. It was really hard to begin with but now 8 months down the road i can climb stairs again. I couldnt go for a jog or anything but the swimming and knee excercises in the gym have made a massive difference to my pain. I am.more flexible and feel great.. I usually hate gyms and excercise but I feel the difference if I dont go for a few days. I swim Mond to Friday. Around 25 lengths of the pool and twice a week the gym. I cant emphasise enough how much better I feel. Anyrhinf is worth a try and I also dont want to feek like im crippled by time I reach 60...im 43 at the moment. Good luck
    • Posted

That's great encouragement. I will definitely explore local gym. I can swim well but it's the group exercise buzz I miss.

So pleased that you're active and feeling good. Take care.

• Posted

Can you find and Aquarobics (Aquafit) class to give you a group activity in the water.
  • Posted

I am no expert but if I were I would almost certainly say "no high impact classes for the forseeable future".  Excercise yes, swimmng yes, walking yes, but leave the heavy stuff until you see your doctor or physiotherapist.  OA does get worse if you treat it badly , whether you are young or old.

• Posted

Sound advice. Think it's about acceptance isn't it...just feel too young!

• Posted

All the advice you have here is great. Another option is there is also a therapy with very good success rates called Apos Therapy. Look it up. It is basically retraining the way you use your muscles etc in and around your knees and how your whole body chain works. Good luck!
    • Posted

Sounds interesting. I'll do some research. I'm being referred to physio so will also ask there. Thanks.

• Posted

by all means,BE ACTIVE and try other therapies - ultrasound works very well and I use my sonic relief machine at home every day and especially if I'm going to be active - both before and after.  Otherwise, I suffer and wonder what my future will be like too.  I'm 49 with OA in my knee and hip.

• Posted

I had no idea that such things existed. Will see how much an ultrasound machine costs. Such a relief that other people sim in age are coping well. The docs have all saI'd I'm young to have these issues. It just made me worry more. Good luck to you too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.