Shingles on my foot, but pain in my ribs

Posted , 4 users are following.

I got shingles around 6 months ago, it started on my foot. Four days later, a pain in my ribs I couldn't even hardly take a breath it took two and a half months before the doctors figured out I had shingles only because I asked him for a shingles test because it was no pain pill that would even ease up the pain what I can't figure out I haven't heard anybody talk about a rash on the outside of the skin but having the pain internally it has been 6 months and the pain has been consistent even though it has eased up a bit and the rash is hit me 4 times in 6 months on and off I can only remember having about 2 or 3 days of no pain does anybody know about this also they did to Karen skins 1 ultrasound pet scan trying to figure this out any kind of help would be appreciated

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Omg you have just described me to almost a T. My pain started in December in my back and rib cage and its constant and its still here. I have good days and bad and it seems no pain medication works for shingles. Funny you should mention a test for shingles, what did they do? I have seen my 9th dr yesterday and I think I finally made headway all due to my Obgyn who was more concerned with my symptoms then infectious disease. She didn't want me to tell other Drs this but she felt I had postherpetic neuralgia/myelitis and she told me to ask for valproic acid, or capsaicin topical, ketamine or even Botox. When I told her all the epidurals and mri's I have been thru she asked if the mri was with steroids and I didn't think so but I will reach out today to ask. She told me to find a different infectious disease dr and give him this info. Also interesting was that I told her about a surgery I had in 2012 and she asked me if I had an tooth abscess as well, because both of those things could lead to shingles. Now I am so anxious to spend more time researching all of this. You are so not alone here. I feel your pain. Have you tired anti virals?

• Posted

Hi I'm sorry your having so much pain, I know first hand, I couldn't lay on my back, side or stomach..I cried when I had to go to sleep.standing was my only relief I can't wear a bra because any thing touching me was painful.I asked my doctor for a blood test and I came up positive with a very high range and yes I take the anti viral medicine but you habe to take it within 72 hours of the out break, it does not stop it but helps it go away quicker..I pray you get some relief..this is the most painful thing I have endured.. good bless

• Posted

Lori,

I am so sorry for the suffering and pain. I have had recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles every three to five weeks in my right ear and twice in my right eye for the past twenty years. I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States.

You had "Zoster Sine Herpete" or shingles without the rash. Now you have Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN as the chronic pain has set in.

Obviously if you have allergies to medications, kidney, liver, heart, disease, you have to be careful and not take the medications that are contraindicated.

My suggestion is the following:

Ditch the infectious disease doctor. Usually they don't know how to treat pain.

Find a neurologist who is associated with a university. Neurologists understand pain pathways and prescribe specific meds to block neuropathic pain.

You need to be on more than one medication.

1.Gabapentin..(Neurontin) which has to be titrated up in dosage. or Lyrica

2.Cymbalta or Venlafaxine or Amitriptyline

3.Lidocaine or Capsaicin topical

4. Pain medication

You also are experiencing fatigue and exhaustion, I am certain. Please obey your body and get the rest.

Please let us know how we can help you.

Best regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry and thank you so much, you misunderstood me..I have the rash but it keeps appearing on my right foot, but the ungodly pain I have is in my ribs internally and I don't understand? Have you heard of this? When I get the rash, and I have had it three times in the last 5 months I get a infection in my right lung also..and it hurts so bad to cough and the pain starts under my right beat and continues to my right side..thank you so much for any information you can give..and god bless you I'm so sorry for the pain you have suffered.

• Posted

Lori

You can certainly get it internally on your lung as you just stated. Sorry I misunderstood you...it is excruciating each time no matter where it hits you. As a frequent sufferer, I have an inkling of how you feel and how you dread the next occurrence.

I stay on Topamax, an anticonvulsant similar to gabapentin, and I am certain it had helped attenuate the neuropathic pain I do have during the acute episode and prevented Post Herpetic Neuralgia. Just something to consider.... I use Topamax as migraine prophylaxis, as well...

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.