Hypertension ,

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had bad side effects from many tablets for high blood pressure , i was on Losartan but am now on Candesartan ,,the same family of drugs ! i get knee pain,back pain ,dizziness to name a few side effects ,, If i stop them my B/P goes up yet if i take them i feel so bad ! im at my wits end now and no one seems to be able to come up with one i can take ! can anyone help ? thanks

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

gwen22261...you were on Losartan, but now taking Candesartan. You are right...they are in the same class of drugs. How did that happen?? Sometime people believe there may be a different ingredient although they are in the same class.

The best person to answer that question is the pharmacist...but if you find neither of them is working, then perhaps a discussion with your Dr. is in order. He may decide to put you on an A.C.E...but a common side effect of an A.C.E. is a dry hacking cough that does NOT go away, unless you stop taking it. Be aware though, not everyone experiences the cough. I do not. A few friends of mine were on an A.C.E. for just a week, & developed the cough so they came off that med.

Three other of my friends did not develop the cough either..so you see, it depends on the dividual. 

Your Doctor knows there are other meds that you can take...so my suggestion to you is to get back to the Dr.

• Posted

Yes Mike ,i was on Losartan then the Dr said try Candesartan ,,, it is the same class but because i have tried a lot with no joy i think it was just a shot in the dark , it has given me the same side effects unfortunately and made me very dizzy ! I have been on Ramipril which gave me a 24hr cough so i was taken off it ! I  was sent to a consultant at the hospital who ordered some tests ,one being a renal artery scan as if it is stenosed that can be a cause of non toleration ! Needless to say it was normal so he then had no answers ecxept  try spironolactone which i do in a small dose and it seems ok ,but not enough to keep my b/p down for 24hrs ! there is a procedure called renal artery denervation which is new but it being done in some places ,only if the artery is not normal ! Yes you are right it does depend on each person , my brother was put on 2 and has no problem at all ! I think i have nearly exhausted the lot and they sort of blame me now ! The pharmacist is not a lot of help , just says ask the Dr ! I have nearly given up as  i cannot believe i get the bad side effects from so many ! Thanks for reply Mike
    • Posted

gwen22261...Sorry you're having such a rough go of things.

BP meds can make us feel miserable, but they can also help save our lives. Ok, the Rampiril gave you the dreaded cough..THAT's a very common thing because it's a well known side effect of an A.C.E. Inhibitor, which Rampiril is. 

Now let's get to the nitty-gritty here. From what you write, it seems you're on a single bp med. Has your Dr. not discussed with you, the possibility of taking a COMBINATION of meds?, i.e. Candesartan WITH a diuretic?...or Candesartan along with a calcium channel blocker,,, OR

Candesartan with Doxazosin? Sometimes it takes more than 1 bp med to bring the readings down to where it should be.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Mike ,, thanks for this , yes they seem to make some miserable and its awful , I just wish i was one of the many who have no problems taking them ,, yes they do help save lives and that makes it worse as you just cannot stop them ! I have really wanted to recently as maybe its better to have some time without feeling bad than a few years with not a lot of quality of life ! I am on Spironolactone 12 5 which is a diuretic , i tried Doxasosin and it gave me headaches and tinnitus ! i also am on Bisoprolol and have no problems from it , i have been on it 10years now ! Yes it usually does take a combination to keep it at a normal enough level ! I have also tried Bendrofluazide and it was terrible ! Thank you Mike , i think i am beyond help ! hope you are managing whatever you are on !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.