Vitamin D? What's your experience?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I just read for the first time (somehow this escaped me until now) that Vitamn D can help with HS and those who do have HS suffer from a defficency. 

This klnd of shocks me since my blood work does have a consistent low level of it (19) and now I'm wondering... I'll start taking it asap and update on results in case this helps anyone but now I'm curious - 

Anyone else here has low Vitamin D? Gets tested for it? Tried it as a supplement?

I know vitamin D is linkes to insulin resistence which I also have which in itself is linked to HS too. Not sure yet what exactly is the mechanism at work here and what affects what. Guess nobody really does so any info from you guys would be helpful! 

Thanks.

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

That is so interesting. I am low as well and I wasn't always this way. Right around the time I started having hidradenitis issues is when I started testing low in Vitamin D. Interesting. I have an appt. on Thursday so I'll definitely start taking some immediately. Thank you for posting!!

• Posted

Hi Bella,

From the posts that I have seen this is a very regular theme. I also was diagnosed vitamin D deficient when my HS started in January. I had 3 really bad months with surgery and lots of medication. I am now in remission so it appears I have had it lightly compared to many others.

Here is what worked for me:

I take Vitamin 1000 iu strength (1 per day)

3 month course of oxytetracycline - 4 a day

I bathe with hibbi scrub,

Quit smoking

And finally I enrolled in the gym with the aim to sweat like crazy. I'm not overweight at all.

I also read about night shade foods playing a factor, I have yet to cut these out as some of these are my favourite foods, if I get a flare up I will stop eating them. Hope this helps

Guy

• Posted

I will add zinc supplement and tumeric to the list. I started that and no nightshade vegetables and no new bumps yet. I've only tried for like 4-5 weeks.

• Posted

Hi, I didn't know about the vit D connection. Have you read about it somewhere?

• Posted

Guillet, A. et al. Verneuil’s disease, innate immunity and vitamin D: a pilot study. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 2014. but there is probably other studies out there.
  • Posted

Hi I would take vit d with caution as too much can cause other problems.   I think it would be best to run it past your doctor first if you should be taking it and how much.  x

• Posted

Yes I've heard that too. I think all Vit supplements need to be taken with care. I don't have dairy much, so i know i need to take calcium, and calcium can only be processed by the body when Vit D is also present, so I'm planning to get a combined supplement and just take the recommended dose.

• Posted

I'm really interested to hear about the link between Vit D and insulin resistance too, I'm going to do some research on it all, see what I can find out. Anything that helps overall health!

• Posted

I have been prescribed Vit D, 1 a month. My vit D levels have not been checked.. I have insulin resistance and by working on that I beleive I have been able to put my HS into remmission. Will check out the link between the two unless you have studies you are willing to share.
    • Posted

Hi I haven't looked yet but anything i find, I will let you know.

• Posted

Hi all, thanks for all the sharing and responses.

I'm happy some of you found this useful. I just bought 400mg tabs and will take 1 a day after consulting with the pharmisicist. 

As for where I read about this - online; the only study I found info on was what Ingoldsby here wrote of - by Guillet, A. et al. Couldn't find more right now, but, did find some more chats about it.

As for vitamin D and insulin resistence; and HS and insulin resistence - ample material on IR exists online. The one thing I can't figure for certain is if low VitD is a side-effect of IR or a pre existing condition that fascilitates IR. Probably a little bit of both? In any case, there is evidence that taking VitD when you have IR can help with fighting IR and diabetes down the road. 

There is a link between IR and HS. I cannot tell from studies if HS is caused by IR but, intuitively, to me, it makes sense... 

In any case, I feel like taking VitD is good for my IR so I might as well monitor its effect on my HS. I am just recently having inflamations again after a long remission, so I hope to see results soon. Will let you guys know if it worked. 

By the way - why do some of you take zinc? I've seen it a couple of times... 

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it went to a subscription site. Users can use a search engine and look for vitamin d and hidradenitis suppurativa for info.

• Posted

I've read that taking some Vit D can help with a whole load of problems, so I am planning to start taking it. It's supposed to help with mood as well as physical problems.

• Posted

Never crossed my mind but i was checked some years back and the doctor told me I was low on vitamin D. I got 2 shots of 10.000mg and then I needed to take 400mg everyday to get my vitamin me D back to normal. I must say I kind of forgot to take them after some time.

Maybe I should start again.

Ps I asked my doctor if it was save to get such huge amount of vitamine D in the beginning. He said you cannot overdo vitamin D.

• Posted

Hi, that's interesting, thanks. I wonder if the body just gets rid of any excess Vit D after it's used up what it needs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.