Want to go from 5mg escritalopram to 10, but have a question

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been on 5mg for eight days and want to go up to my target goal of 10mg, but am still feeling side effect of slight nausea every evening with the 5mg.  Do you have to have no more side effects from current dose to move on to larger dose?  Also, thought I'd ease into it by cutting tablets and trying 7.5 mg for a few days first. I'd be grateful for any advice I can get!

0 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Diana,

I posted here as well a couple days ago with a similar question and haven't received any responses either. I am wondering if this med is right for me? I am on day 12 of 5mg and feel like my anxiety is worse than the first week at 5mg. I also have had bad nausea and actually had dry heaves and vomiting on days 9 and 10. Not sure what to do. Been pretty miserable. Lots of crying cause I feel so bad. What are you taking the med for? Anxiety and/or depression?

Thanks,

Holly

• Posted

Hi, Holly

So sorry you are feeling so bad.  I've taken this med on and off for the past eight years, but can't remember how long the side effects lasted the other times.  I'm taking it for anxiety.  Most of my anxiety right now is due to a long bout I've had with IBS.  I get the queasiness between 5 and 6 PM and it usually feels better after I eat dinner.  What time does your nausea kick in? 

I hope you'll start feeling better soon. In the past, for me, the side effects have eventually cleared up and the med has worked great for my anxiety.  

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Been having a horrible day. Yesterday was better. Not 100% but I was able to go to my doctors appointment which is about 45 minutes away. Just felt somewhat normal. Then today it is bad. Terrible anxiety, headaches, nausea and I did end up vomiting again. This is the first time I have been on lexapro. Was previously on zoloft for many years. Worked great for me. Totally anxiety free. Started having some issues of not feeling well and tried to increase my zoloft dose and things just went downhill. I had always been on 50mg. Long story shortcut vomited for about two months ups to about 6 times a day on bad days. Thought it maybe relayed to the zoloft so discontinued it to see if it was the reason. The vomiting continued and finally saw GI doc and after a couple weeks was diagnosed with a bad gall bladder. Had gall bladder surgery about three weeks ago. I have always been on my Zoloft for anxiety/panic so knew I should probably restart meds and heard great things about lexapro so am trying to give this one a go..... Been very rough. Zoloft was rough starting but don't recall feeling to nauseous and vomiting like I am on the lexapro. Some days I am just basically out of commission. I take my med before bed. I tend to get the nausea vomiting around 1 or two in the afternoon. It is more like a reflux. I have bad bouts of increased anxiety/rapid heart beat that may last most of the morning into the afternoon. Does it increase your anxiety levels to when starting it? Just wondering if I am experiencing side effects still at 12 days in or if imy anxiety is just getting worse. Don't want to increase to soon but on the other hand I sometimes wonder if that is the answer. Was hoping the SE would have been calming down by now. Just feel kinda stuck. I know the ins and outs of Zoloft but never have tried another med. Does my SE sound normal or is that just not the right med for me? The vomiting is what concerns me the most. I know heightened anxiety is normal with Ssri start up but nevertheless it is no fun.

Ugggh!

Thanks for your reply. Good to hear your a Lexapro Pro!

• Posted

Hi Holly.. I am on 20mg. I didn't feel so good on the lower dose so I jumped to the high dose and I felt strange for about 2 weeks and now I feel great

• Posted

Hi Cynthia,

Thank you so much for your reply. What dose were you on prior to going to the 20 mg and long were you on that dose. What do you mean by strange? I am very sensitive to these meds. Did you have bad nausea and anxiety increase when increasing? Just feeling so down and discouraged right now.....

Any additional insight on your experience would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much!

• Posted

I started at 5mg but it was not holding back the anxiety and I felt sick and my head felt light. I by passed 10mg and jumped to 20mg. I felt like dizzy but my anxiety got under control pretty quick. In two weeks I was much better and in a month I was feeling great
    • Posted

Hey Cynthia,

How long were you on the 5mg before jumping up? Did you have any other side effects other than dizzy?

You are so awesome for helping me out. I really appreciate you taking the time. Is this your first SSRI? Do you take in the morning or at night?

• Posted

Hi Holly & Diana. i've been on escitalopram 15mg daily for over 4yrs for anxiety & depression & it maintains me very well. its normal to get temp side effects when you start this med or increase dose for 2-4wks while your body adapts to it. side effects can include: increased anxiety especially in  morning, increased tiredness, sweating, dry mouth, nausea, dilated pupils. when i started this med & when i increased doses, i did get more sleepy for 2-3wks, & more anxious in morning, dilated pupils, & dry mouth, but it only lasted approx 3wks. It is VERY important to take this med in the morning when you get up  - both my doc & pharmacist told me this. Hope this helps you both a bit, take care xx

• Posted

Hi Looloo,

Thanks for chiming in! I guess I am now wondering if I should be increasing now or if I am getting side effects still from adjusting to the 5mg. I started at 2.5mg for two weeks but feel more anxious and down on the 5mg. I am on day 13 of 5 mg. I also start wondering if I am relapsing as I had to stop my Zoloft of 5years trying to rule out if it was causing medical problems. I have been off of it for almost 7 weeks. Not sure if I should be increasing or giving the 5mg more time. I had a problem on the zoloft when I got my dosage to high which was only trying to go up to 100mg so kinda scared of going to high but I need relief..... What was your tritation timeframe?

Thank you so much!

• Posted

Hi Holly. from what i remember i started on 10mg but it made me feel weird, so i started 5mg for couple of weeks, then went up to 10mg for about 4wks. then 15mg 4wks, then 20mg. i was on 20mg for some time as i was quite bad at one point, but when i had been feeling myself again for approx 9mths, i went down to 15mg & have been fine  on that since. I haven't gone down any further as for the last 4yrs I've had other illness with bowel conditions that have caused me no end of stress, so i stick to 15mg. I've also started perimenopause this year at 45 & gone on to hrt in april. so certainly won't be trying to go down to 10mg anytime in the near future. I've had a long history of anxiety & depression since age 19, whenever i've had a long spell off ad's, it hits me again eventually, so if i have to stay on them to keep me as the real me, then so be it. I would perhaps phone your doc & see if he thinks you should go up a notch on the meds yet hun. xx

• Posted

Oh my. You sound a lot like me! I am 45 as well and started on Zoloft in my early 20's for severe panic and depression. I had tried to come off of it a couple times but always had to restart so a finally decided I was a med for life kinda girl. I am totally okay with that. My life is good once I am stabilized on them and that to me is priceless. Zoloft was wonderful and has been the only anti depressant I have ever been on. Thought maybe it was pooping out on me but then had the gallbladder problems so not sure it was ever the zoloft but discontinued it to rule it out and then it was determined my gallbladder was bad. Vomiting daily, constant nausea, two trips to the ER. It has been a mess the past 4 months. I have lost just over 40 pounds. I have read great things about Lexapro so thought I would give it a try. Just scary as I have never had anything other than the zoloft and have started that one about three times so I know what to expect on it. Just not sure if I should give the 5 mg another week or if I am just delaying the inevitable. I have a horrible time with increases so don't want to go that route if not necessary. I kind of lost faith in my PDoc as she acts like my reaction to starting these meds are not the norm. I called her on day 7 as my heart was racing, bad anxiety etc. She advised me drop back down to 2.5mg and acted like it was not normal that I felt that way..... She claims none of her patients have this reaction....? I know better and that is why I have turned to the forums. So now I don't trust her advise. She thinks that it should be no problem to hop right on to the 10mg at the start..

Anyway! Have you been on other ssri's?

Thank you so much......

• Posted

Yes I have used other meds. If you over think every little feeling you will feel worse. I jumped to 20mg and get the yucky feelings over with. I was on 10mg but it was not holding back the anxiety. At 20mg I am good
    • Posted

Hi Cynthia,

I just get the worst side effects. I think I am very sensitive to all meds. What did you have as far as side effects and how long did they last? The SE totally put me out of commission sometimes. It is horrible.

Thanks again 😀

• Posted

Hi Cynthia,

When you were on the 10mg you felt that way or when you increased it. You did 10mg for 4 weeks then increased?

• Posted

Now I'm confused again....so it's OK to increase dose while you still feel side effect (nausea) on lower dose?

• Posted

Isn't this just fun Diana?

Sounds like if you think you are ready to increase and manage it is fine. I am just so hesitant as I don't want to be a higher dose than needed. I am not sure if my anxiety and nausea are still side effects and I am trying to still adjust to this dosage. I don't want to make it worse if I may feel better once the side effects ease up. I am still getting really bad headaches and tension in the neck area, spikes of anxiety and some dizziness. I just feel like these are worse than when I was on the 2.5mg so tends to make me think it is still the increase side effects....

I am just so unsure what to do myself. Do you get really bad increased anxiety during start up or increases? I wanted to wait out side effects and see how I felt but then I start thinking maybe these aren't side effects and I am getting worse....

I know a lot of people do one week on 5mg and then go to 10 there after. I think I would die. Lol

• Posted

Doctor put me on 10 my I didn't want to do all the side effects so I jump to 20 mg in like 2 weeks.. Felt not so good but it passed and I felt so much better. Stop over thinking it you are making it worse

• Posted

Hi Cynthia,

I think I am over thinking it because I went to high at one point on my Zoloft and became very ill from it. That was just about 3 months ago. So I am now worried about that. I also get extreme anxiety on increases and just hate it. I guess I need to probably just go ahead and go to the 10mg. I am just now in the past day or two getting a bit of an appetite back from the increase to 2.5mg. Like I mentioned - I have had a rough 3 to 4 months of too much Zoloft and then the vomiting starting up to 5 and 6 times a day. Doc had me stop my Zoloft very quickly to see if it was the cause. Ended up being gallbladder and had it removed about 3 weeks ago. Just so tired of constantly feeling bad and trying to get back on my feet. I had been on the Zoloft for 5 years straight so stopping abruptly was terrifying too. Just been so rough and I want to feel better and just dread upping again. I really have a rough time with adjusting. My anxiety gets extreme, heart races, nausea, hard time sleeping, no appetite. Sorry I sound so wishy washy. Also this a new med for me so that is kinda scary. I have used Zoloft for 20 years on and off but mostly on. You are right - I am worried about it and it doesn't help. I have been off work for about 4 months due to all of this and I am generally a non stop kinda girl so this has been a real setback for me..

How long did it take for your start up side effects to pass?

Thanks for your input....

• Posted

Hi holly , I can't comment on increasing as I am only on day 3 of 2mg, but I can relate to feeling scared. I had a terrible time trying to take fluoxetine since April and am scared about this new drug. How come the doc tried you on a new drug and not put you back on the Zoloft?

• Posted

Hi Louise,

I have been using Zoloft all of my life. In March I felt like I was getting more irritable, fatigued and some anxiety. I increased to 75mg for about three weeks and then went to 100mg and it made me very agitated and I was getting the dry heaves. Went to urgent care and he said he thought the dose was to high. Felt like I was getting serotonin syndrome. My heart was racing all day and I was getting the heaves as well as very agitated. I tried going back to my to my regular dose for a few weeks and saw no improvement. I was very sick and thought I was having withdrawal. I had started vomiting. My P Doc was not sure what was happening and thought we should eliminate the Zoloft. I did that and was still vomiting two weeks later multiple times a day. P Doc then said she didn't think it was med related. Ended up goiingvto GI doctor and had a bunch of test done. Endoscopy, ct scan and HIDA scan. Meanwhile still vomiting daily. Constantly nauseous. Ended up they decided it was gallbladder. Having lots pain on upper abdomen and back and terrible bloating to. So had that surgery about three weeks ago. So not sure if Zoloft was pooping out at the same time or if it was all related to gallbladder looking back. So therefore it was determined that I should try a different medication and I heard great things about Lexapro. I mean I had many great years on Zoloft so it could be a poop out factor but not sure. I started at 2.5mg of Lexapro prior to my surgery. On day 13 of 5mg. Just feel like I am feeling worse. Maybe it is just that I am relapsing since I stoped the Zoloft kind of cold turkey which isn't good. I think I need to go ahead increase but I just have trouble tolerating these meds and let is a new one for me.

Sorry about your experience. What happened? Have you taken meds before?

We will be okay. It is just scary especially when you already feel down. I am feeling pretty good some parts of the day, anxious. And depressed others.....

Are you taking it for anxiety or depression?

I sympathize with you and glad you joined in the discussion😀

• Posted

Holly I have extreme anxiety. I am also on 2 other meds just to tame the anxiety. I felt pretty sh*tty for 2 weeks but I hung in there. At 4 weeks all side effects were gone. My anxiety got so bad I was on beta blockers. I get to feeling good and then I think I don't need the meds and drop off one and everything goes to hell. Normally you should wean off your ssr and wait two weeks before starting another. All I can tell you is either take baby steps and feel yucky everytime you increase or take the leap and feel yucky one time lol

• Posted

Hi holly, sounds horrendous! I had taken fluoxetine a few times before with no problems. After a year off the flu, In April my gad and panic returned so I knew I needed to get back in something. went straight in taking a full dose 20mg of flu and by day 9 I felt like I was in a constant panic - heart racing, thinking I needed to be in a psych ward, sleeping 3 hours a night, sweating, tremors and having to move my legs all the time. Gp told me to stop and then I took a week off and started on liquid flu. Got to 14 mg and started having same symptoms so dropped down to 10mg. Took that for about 16 weeks but I was still more anxious and agoraphobic than before I took any meds

Gp referred me to a psych who recommended escitalopram...so that's where I am. I've been ill with a virus since I started taking it ( high temp, headache chills, slight cold) and I haven't noticed any side effects yet but its early days...

Personally, if I was having really bad side effects I would stay on the same dose for a bit before moving up. 5mg is not a therapeutic dose but you did well on a low dose of Zoloft, so perhaps it's enough. My psych did say if I coukdnt tolerate the increased anxiety he woukd add in pregabalin for a while.

• Posted

Hi Cynthia,

I wasnt really able to wean due to my bad health and needing to make sure it wasn't Zoloft induced. I had symptoms of serotonin syndrome or at least an adverse reaction attributed that to increasing to 100mg. I have always done well on 50mg. I dropped back down to the 50mg and things didn't subside. Seemed odd as I had been on that dose for 5 years. That's when I was advised to discontinue. I did do a two week wash out before starting the Lex but started at 2.5mg at that time. I do have Xanax but really try not to take it but have been needing to rely on it a lot more this past week. I was also prescribed a beta blocker - propanolol but haven't tried that. Does it seem to work well?

• Posted

Hi Holly. Yes i have the same attitude as you, if it means leading a normal life, then i don't mind taking a tablet every day to keep me mentally stable. depression & anxiety is truly awful when it gets a grip of you. 

Several things come to mind from your post:

1) its bad you went cold turkey on the zoloft, & that could be part of the problem along with expected side effects of starting/increasing a different ad.  i notice you said you thought the zoloft was maybe pooping out on you, but if you were vomiting, its also poss that the zoloft wasn't getting properly absorbed before your other illness connected to your gall bladder - which in turn would make you feel worse mentally as the zoloft may not be as effective if your vomiting.

2) i note you are about the same age as me & you said in march you started to get more irritable, fatigued & more anxiety. Have you thought about you might be perimenopausal - as those are symptoms, & i 45yrs old was diagnosed early this year with it & now on hrt. have you had any change in periods, tearfulness, hot flashes, brain fog, intense headaches, lightheadedness alongside the irritability,anxiety & fatigue?

3) it seems a shame you have to go through the difficult process of getting used to a different ad when you did well on zoloft. if your gall bladder probs are sorted now, you could discuss with your doc just going back on a normal dose of zoloft.

I can't remember all the ad's I've been on over the years, but I've been on propranalol for donkeys years 80mg daily to help anxiety. i was also on venlafaxine for a long time but suddenly there were health scares about it(strokes, heart problems) so my doc change me to citalopram which was awful, so then put me on escitalopram over 4yrs ago, & after the initial side effects went I have been doing fine on that. early this year i started to get random short temper, erratic low mood, random tearfulness, period pain, intense headaches 3 or 4 times a week, hot flushes, brain fog, irritability, increased anxiety & panic attacks, & overwhelmed at the slightest little thing. i tried increasing my ad's to 20mg as i initially thought it was depression/anxiety worsening again, but all it did was make me feel sedated & didnt help with the symptoms. it didnt feel like depression/anxiety before as it wasn't so constant, just random & fluctuating throughout the day. i felt out of control. when i eventually saw my doc several weeks later she diagnosed perimenopause based on my age, symptoms & the fact i had had very irreg bleeding for the last 2yrs & i was put on low dose/low risk hrt in april. my mental symptoms & headaches started to improve 2-3wks in & have got better the longer i have been on hrt - i am back in control if myself now & feel normal again. i am ill with other chronic bowel problems at present, & i truly believe if i hadnt started the hrt when i did, i would be in a deep spiral of depression & anxiety by now not coping with the other health issues.  I

I'm not saying you are perimenopausal Holly, but it may be something you haven't thought about; just think about the symptoms i mention above & if you are experiencing them or not.

Take care hun. let me know how you get on & make sure you take whatever action in consult with your doctor.  xx

• Posted

Sounds like your experience was similar to mine when I increased the Zoloft.

I am feeling like I am going backwards on the Lex. I am having some major moments of emotional breakdown and feeling very scared. Like you said - I movements of feeling like I need to be in a psych ward. Need to call my PDoc today and discuss. Made an appointment but can't get in until Monday. I worry this drugging isnt agreeing with me or is it that I should increase. I feel less emotionally stable now than I did at the 2.5 mg but then it could be the Zoloft discontinuation is really playing into it at this point too?

• Posted

So correct on the premenopausal. I wear a patch and I tried to go cold turkey off the patch due to cost and it was awful. So I got back on the patch... I am 56
    • Posted

I only used the beta blocker when my anxiety was out of co troll because my blood pressure stayed a little to high
    • Posted

I have had my hormones checked. I am estrogen dominant and my cortisol was very high. I was told to start on a natural progesterone nightly but when I was so I'll I eliminated or hesitated to start new drugs as I didn't want to add into the possibility of additional causes of the nausea, vomiting.

• Posted

See post below I just noted about the hormones.

What was so bad sbout the citalopram? That is one my doc has mentioned putting me on in our conversations......

• Posted

citalopram (not escitalopram) made me feel worse after trying it for a good 6wks. my doc said escitalopram is similar but works in a slightly different way (dont know the technicalites) & it works fine for me. citalopram i think is the first line treatment they try - some people are fine on it, some are not - everyone is different. also, hormone blood tests aren't favoured by doc's for diagnosing perimeno/meno as hormones fluctuate too often, even from hour to hour - they go more on symptoms, age, menstrual cycles. did any of the symptoms/or all apply to you Holly? if your gall bladder issues are sorted, why don't you try the progesterone as directed by your doctor? x

• Posted

Do you think the Zoloft would Work for me again? I did awesome on that drug but wonder if I have run its course after being on it so long and so many times throughout the years. I know most people don't have that luck of a med working for them that long.

I wasn't vomiting when I first thought the med wasnt working. But the fatigue, irritability and neck shoulder pain may have been the beginning symptoms of the gallbladder problem. I just don't know.....

• Posted

I had the saliva test done not bloodwork for my hormone testing. I had to fill a tube of saliva upon waking in the morning and I had to FedEx it to a special lab....
    • Posted

Holly, read my long post from about an hour ago slowly. it answers your questions & what my thoughts are.  also think about what i said about hormone tests & reliability & how doc's usually diagnose peri/meno. again, did any/all of the symptoms of perimenopause apply to how you were feeling in march?  again, if your gall bladder issues are now sorted, why don't you try the progesterone as directed by your doctor? x

• Posted

In what way did the Citalopram make you feel worse? Worse how? Just trying to determine if that is what the Lex is doing to me? Although my dose is not at a standard therapeutic range i feel worse on it now than before starting it and have been on it for 4 to 5 weeks. I did 2.5mg for two weeks. Went up to 5mg for a week started feeling very panicky on day 7 at that time. Doc said too back to 2.5mg. Felt terrible doing that for two days and decided to go back to 5mg and push through the side effects but have been on 5mg this time for two weeks and just feeling more down, emotional and anxious. That is why i am wondering if this isnt a good fit. Feeling less motivated and detached. Emotional breakdowns, etc.
    • Posted

if you are only concerned about the escitalopram & not all the other suggestions/thoughts/questions i took the time to think about for you, then i can only tell you that my own experience was my doc increased my dose about every 4wks until i felt more like me. common side effects are  that you feel worse every time you start most ad's & often feel  worse on each increase in dose for about 2-4wks, then it gradually disappears. when you get to a dose that makes you feel more like the normal you, you know you have reached to best dose for you. all this must be done with regular consultation with your doctor.

• Posted

My main symptoms in March started as fatigue. Just kept saying to myself that I felt like I needed a vacation. Neck and shoulder tension that I attributed to stress. I didn't tell depressed per say just thought I was stressed and needed a break. Wasn't as motivated. I just felt less patient about things.

I guess I could try starting the progesterone cream again....

• Posted

I appreciate all your help and time Look ok. I really do! I know you don't have all of the answers and everyone is different on responding to meds. I think what has me worried is that I feel more depressed and emotional the end of week two of 5mg than I have this whole time on this med. I wasnt expecting to fell this down at the end of the two week mark. It is worse than week one. Is that normal?

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions 😀

• Posted

its worth a try if you use it as directed by your doctor. you then have to decide(with your doc) whether to persevere with the gradual increase of escitalopram & the temp side effects(expected-its normal) until you feel more like you, or talk to your doc about ditching the escitalopram & just going back on the zoloft at a "normal" dose. you are lucky that it suited you for a long time. many  people find meds suit them well long term, but some find for no reason they just stop working. i can't help but think coming of zoloft cold turkey style & probable hormone/peri related issues are the likely cause of you feeling how you did in march before your gall bladder problems. so you could try the progesterone cream & stay on escitalopram, or try the progesterone cream & go back on zoloft. have a chat with your doc in any case. x

• Posted

yes its normal, unfortunately the temp side effects even increasing a dose can last 2-4wks. if you don't feel better after approx 4-5wks, it indicates you need a higher dose(in consult with your doc of course). x

• Posted

It's best to take in the morning, they can keep you awake at night.

• Posted

Hi Cheryl,

I went and saw my doctor two days ago as I was getting much worse on this med. I felt 100 times worse than prior to starting it. I was having major emotional breakdowns daily with uncontrollable crying and shaking and felt like my depression was getting severe. Anxiety was through the roof. I didn't really have any major depression prior to starting Lex. I was getting extremely worse after two weeks on 5mg. I was starting to scare myself and felt like I was out of my mind.

I am going back to Zoloft and hoping it will work for me again. I did not have that kind of start up effect from Zoloft in the past. Increased anxiety yes but not feeling like an emotional train wreck. I just felt the Lexapro side effects were getting out of control and not normal. I was getting in a very bad place on that drug feeling like I should be admitted and I wasn't like that prior to increasing to the 5mg.

Scary feeling.....

• Posted

Sorry to hear it didn't work out, I hope the Zoloft works for you again xx

• Posted

I know. Thank you. How are you doing on the Lexapro? Have you increased your dosage?

I hope it is going well.....

• Posted

Only day 6. Started on 1mg and have gone up every 3 Rd day. I was ill this week with a virus but I haven't noticed any increased anxiety which is what I dreaded following my bad experience with fluoxetine. I'm still so low though so don't know how I will feel on higher doses next week. Did you have any wide effects on 2.5?

• Posted

You know I don't really know as I started it about 11 days prior to my gallbladder surgery. I was anxious somewhat due to my sickness and was also nauseous so much anyway. Some of it may have been the lexapro but I assumed it was my gallbladder. I was very nauseous and maybe some of it was the lexapro and some the gallbladder but I just thought it was gallbladder. No nausea or anything for you at all? I just found it weird that my side effects on Lexapro got so much worse the second week? I started getting the dry heaves and vomited a few times and my emotional state went way down hill. Is that kind how it went for you on the flu? I really was starting to feel like I needed to be admitted and I was no were that bad off prior to the Lexapro..... I guess we all react differently. Do you take anything to tide you over on the anxiety while the Lex kicks in?

• Posted

Yep, that's how I was on flu. It got worse every day so that by day 9 I was bedridden with anxiety. I started on a full dose though.

I've not had any nausea yet. I did with flu. I do have a headache but I've been ill with a virus and temperature so as you said it's hard to know whether it's a side effect or the virus.

• Posted

I've got diazepam from when I was on flu, but to be honest 5mg didn't help and I'm reluctant to take higher doses. I felt better as soon as I stopped flu....well, after 2 days.

• Posted

Hi Holly. I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad you went back to your doctor.  we can only really give personal experience on here & tell youwhat we would do if in your shoes, but going back to zoloft that worked for you so well before seems a very sensible option. many people may get on with escitalopram (like me) but not with zoloft, & exactly the reverse- everyone is different, which is why it's so important to keep in regular contact with your doc, especially if you're much much worse (like you) on a particular med.  Are you going to try the progesterone as well, or just see how you go on the zoloft for a while - what did your doc suggest?  i sincerely hope you start to feel better & more settled soon.  xx

• Posted

Yes. I was getting the same way on the Lex. I didn't want to leave my house at all and was constantly have bad emotional break downs that started lasting basically all day sometimes. I restarted the Zoloft yesterday at 25mg. Taken my second dose today. Feeling some stomach and nausea issues and Increased anxiety after my morning dose but was better emotionally yesterday. Doc just had me stop lex and start the zoloft.

• Posted

Hi Looloo,

I know this forum is all based on experience but sometimes you feel you get just as good or better advise from those going through it and experienced the meds themselves. I know I wasn't on a very high dose of the Lexapro but was feeling like something wasn't right and didn't want to increase and make things worse. I was becoming a literal basket case on it. Not feeling to great this morning after my Zoloft dose but going to try and push through and see how it goes. Got some nausea, increased anxiety and a headache. Trying to take some OTC meds to help with side effects. Doc wanted me to try and get to the 50mg dose as soon as possible but I am at 25mg now. Day 2. Thanks for your help and checking back in. I feel like giving up on the ssri's right now but know they can be very helpful. Just tired of feeling worse!

• Posted

Holly, I'm so glad you saw your doc and went back to Zoloft. Hope

You'll feel better soon. As for me, I increased the lex to 10 mg

Today. So far so good. It's so helpful to be able to communicate

With all you ladies. Makes all the difference to me to know I'm not alone!

• Posted

Good to hear Diana,

Did your nausea subside then? Where you feeling positive effects at 5mg? I am glad to hear you Made it to the 10mg. 😀

• Posted

No, still queasy, but decided to go for it anyway. Felt a little nauseous

This am, but not too bad. Hasn't come back yet this evening yet, but

The night is still young. This is the dose which worked for me in the past,

So I'm hoping it does again. All I felt on the 5mg were the side effects

And a tiny bit less anxious.

• Posted

Having a rough day myself on my second day of Zoloft. Been pretty nauseas all day. Feeling pretty crappy. 25mg. I am wondering if I can do this again. I feel so bad that I can't hardly get out of bed today. Yesterday wasn't so bad- today has been. I am beginning to think I can't handle these ssri's anymore? I know I need to hang in there and let the side effects subside but so tired of feeling so bad and not up to doing anything. Been using Xanax as a crutch for the high anxiety times but don't like doing that. Also taking an anti nausea pill and still feel awful. 😞 I hope the 10mg goes well for you. Was hoping I wouldn't feel to bad on the side effects of nausea since I switched med to med. That may also be playing into feeling so bad today?

• Posted

You've been through the mill lately with meds, changing etc, so hopefully the zoloft will help you soon. like all ad's they do usually produce temp side effects while your body adapts to them for a few weeks. don't give up on them, just try to think how you felt before when you were on the zoloft, & tell yourself you will get back to that.  xx

• Posted

also Holly, don't be hard on yourself if you don't feel like doing anything some days, or find it hard to get out of bed. You are ill , & there will be better days ahead in weeks to come. rest is important when you are ill even with mental health as opposed to physical health problems. if the housework doesn't get done today, so what there is tomorrow or the next day. do things you enjoy in your own space, like read a book, watch a good film, do a crossword, have a relaxing bath & a face pack!! be kind to yourself until you begin to pick yourself up again when the meds kick in. xx

• Posted

Hi Looloo,

I am trying. Yesterday just felt really awful all day. Nausea, headache increased anxiety. I actually ended up heaving before I went to bed. It is just hard when it is hitting you in all aspects. My anxiety wasn't too bad in the afternoon but was extremely nauseas. Then the anxiety got bad late in the day until bedtime. I am trying to take walks. Did so yesterday in the morning and evening although I felt terrible last night. Did do some Crying while I walked and was thinking I don't know if I can keep taking the meds as I feel terrible. I know I can but just get in that mindset when I feel that bad. I just don't recall getting this sick starting them in the past.I recall the headaches and increased anxiety but not being so nauseous and heaving. I guess that is what upsets me and makes me think I am not tolerating the ssris anymore. I do word search puzzles, browse the forums and such trying to keep occupied. In My head I want to get out and do things but just feel so blah and yucky..... I wish I never stopped the Zoloft but guess that was part of this journey in determining what was wrong with me. I love to hear from you and your encouragement. It is so helpful to have a cheerleader. I have a great supportive boyfriend and family too but it is nice to have feedback from those who have been through this. People just don't understand how difficult these meds can be start and how bloody awful they make you feel......

Thanks again!

• Posted

i do understand Holly, really. I may be well mentally now, but i had darker times like you. Its great you have a supportive boyfriend & family too, it can be lonely & isolating when you are at your worst. probably half the problem at the moment for you hun, is all the switching in meds, like cold turkey zoloft, then escitalopram, then stop escitalopram cold turkey, now zoloft, so your body & mind are probably so confused at present!!! I'm confident you will settle again in the coming weeks hun, once your system has adapted to the zoloft again. chin up & be kind to yourself. xx

• Posted

Yes lots of med changes, extremely sick and surgery too. Just been an emotional rough 4 months. I have fought my way out of these episodes about three times so I am sure I can do it again. I vowed last time I would never go off the Zoloft again but this was an odd circumstance. I just came back from a walk. I did take my Zoloft dose this morning so trying to carry on. I hope the nausea is better today. I would like to get to the 50mg dose but don't want to do it to quickly either if I am getting so nauseas on the 25mg. 50mg was my optimal dose all these years. I also look back and I started these meds when I was working and didn't really use anything to curb my anxiety. So feeling wimpy now and thinking how did I do that in the past. I guess I was younger then. Lol

Thanks again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.