Pain VS Fentanyl

Posted , 4 users are following.

I say this now, after 3.5 wks being free of 4yrs. of fentanyl patch that my original neck injury pain is a welcomed gift compared to being on Fentanyl. I can think so much more clearly, feel like doing anything BUT sleep all day, I'm cooking with love instead of with resentment, I know I won't be down with withdrawal symptoms every other patch change, or every other week of weaning off of it. I know I still have a way to go, but rebuilding my life would only have been possible for me by getting completely off of it. I'm going to try to steer clear of opiates, and anything else that might make me dependant, just to avoid getting sicker than a dog every day. My kids and other family can see & hear such a change 4 the better in me. It's so good to be back. Pain is definitely the Lesser of the two evils in my opinion. Life just gets better after fentanyl is out of your bloodstream & system. I cannot believe how dark my world had become. For anyone afraid to wean off, please know you will eventually feel better. There are SO many other medicines for pain that can suit you and do the job without hurting so much. All the best everyone.

3 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You got that right. I've been off for a few months now and while I hate pain I'll take it over the Fentanyl dependant life any day. Great job getting off this, it's no easy task that's for sure.

• Posted

Way to go...ive been on 50mcg patches for 7 yrs. My dr just dropped me down to 37.5mcg and she wants me to drop down to 25mcg. She told me to take hydrocodone daily to suppliment since my dosage has been lowered. Ive been so afraid to decrease in dosage bc i tried once before and it was horrible-the pain and withdrawls. For years i constantly feel like total sh*t prob 4 or 5 days out of the week. I miss my old life before getting sick, Cancer then Fibro, always in a fog and all the other bs ailments. Hopefully i can get off one day too

but im very nervous about it all.

So glad for you, Love,Peace & Healing

• Posted

Good luck to you Jore ~ I hope you are feeling better and better, and get back to yourself as soon as you can!
  • Posted

Hi Kris  I have been on fentynal patches for over 10 years now and now its been increased to 125mg every 72 hours.

I really want to come off this and many other opiet drugs I have been put on for my arthritas and now shingles... I live in the UK  and have asked  to be taken off these drugs providing they can give me other pain killers that would cover my pain.  I have been told that its impossible to come off the drugs Im on.  Im 62 years of age suffering from shingles, I need an operation second time on my shoulders,  I have a hernia which is causing so much reflux now,  I have both types of arthritas, so I dont seem to be able to control all my problems I suffer from pain in both my hands for the shape of my fingers and thumbs are so ugly  I cry my self to sleep and some times just sit and cry- since loosing my partner of 20 years, he dies 4 years ago just after his 58th birthday to agressive cancer.  MY QUESTION IS  WHAT DO I DO NOW  WILL I EVER BE NORMAL AGAIN. I long to be able to cuddle my grand daughter and run and play with her out in the garden. Jocelyne Cambridge UK

• Posted

KRIS  sorry it should read 25 years on these patches NOT  10 YEARS
    • Posted

You must be incredibly strong to have endured all of the pain and mental anguish that drug reactions cause, and losing that close presence of a loved one; I'm sorry for your loss. Emotional pain conquers all it seems. If you don't like what fentanyl is doing to your mind, body & soul, then by all means you can get off of it. When you are ready, get the doc. to wean you off by the lowest increments (12mcg/hr) lowering slowly over every 2 - 3 wks or more if needed. If you are getting surgery - they may want to increase your dosage while you are healing, and you may need this. Just the desire to get off fentanyl means you'll find the strength to face this head on. The main thing I learned, is timing. Once I began to set an alarm/timer for 72 hours, the in between withdrawals were not as intense. They set in so quickly otherwise, and this is what really messes you up. Now you're dealing with withdrawal effects on top of everything else. I remember not being able to get off the couch to change my patch many times because I'd waited too long. Finally I'd drag myself to the shower, put a new one on, and on and on this went until I got the grand idea to set an alarm. It really helped while on my highest dose, and throughout the weaning I'd say timers/alarms/reminders are a must.

The 1st three days of lowering my dose each time felt like hell, but subsided. I held the hope that I'd be able to cuddle with my 1 and 1/2 year old granddaughter too! I avoided any form of responsibility while on fentanyl, and shut everyone out because I hated them to see the state I was in I was so tired all the time, gained at least 50lbs being a couch potato, and didn't reach out for help, until I was clean of it and knew I'd be serious to commit to getting help. I know there will be roadblocks ahead but wow .... if we can conquer what we've conquered, roadblocks will be a breeze. If you have not tried cannabis topical oil or speed-stick on your arthritic pain, I recommend it. It's working for my neck, and seems to seep right into the old injury. I think the UK is light years ahead of Canada in this department! They say there is a herb for every medicinal problem. The more I research it, the more I believe it to be true. If you'd like to chat privately don't be shy to msg me - I think you have to start by

Clicking on the envelope by my name. There are beautiful days ahead and many memories to be made running around in the garden with your granddaughter, and lots of cuddles too. My thoughts are with you, and I'm sending tons of love & light filled wishes your way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.